Some advice for a beginner in the port please!

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Some advice for a beginner in the port please!

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:43 pm

G'day,

I've recently upgraded from my Tinny to a 5.2m Half Cabin. A problem im facing at the moment is selecting where to anchor. Im really determined to catch my first ever Snapper this season and wouldnt mind some pointers. The sounder that has come with the half cabin is old, and it doesnt read those boomerang arches for snapper rather it just has a fish icon, and i know that those arent any good because it can be anything.. If im unable to hunt the Snapper, whats my best bet? it reads the seafloor, with drop offs and deeper holes. Should i be looking for those to anchor up on in spots where reports have suggested fish are going and sit out some tides? another thing i'd like some help with is how to anchor on these drop offs etc..? once going over them should i reverse back 10/20 metres and then anchor or, straight ontop of them or?

cheers guys. i plan on heading out again tomorrow morning 7:30 and sitting out the end of the run out tide and the run in at Joes in 8-12m somewhere with fresh salmon and pillies as bait. :)

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Some advice for a beginner in the port please!

Post by rb85 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:20 pm

If you can't find fish on your sounder look for reef or rubble. Do a few practice drops of the anchor away from your mark if your unsure how the wind and current will effect where you sit. Good luck

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:37 pm

The AFN map of PPB and WPB has GPS marks that you can use.

It is possible to turn off the fish Icons.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:07 pm

Wp can be a pain to anchor its good when the tide is strong but sooner or later the wind will push you sideways and when the wind and tide are going opposite ways it can be difficult to manage rod placement, brideling sometimes helps. I usually find a spot I know how long it will take my anchor to hit the bottom guess how much the wind will affect my position drive past the mark set the anchor I like to be a little fwd of my Mark then fish back to it.
As wooly said if you go into your sounder menu you will be able to turn the icons off. Most of my fishing in wp has been out of Rhyll/ corinella I never had much luck around joes island.
I have a fishing trip coming up 3 days at stoney point with guys from work we go every year.

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:48 pm

Nude up wrote:Wp can be a pain to anchor its good when the tide is strong but sooner or later the wind will push you sideways and when the wind and tide are going opposite ways it can be difficult to manage rod placement, brideling sometimes helps. I usually find a spot I know how long it will take my anchor to hit the bottom guess how much the wind will affect my position drive past the mark set the anchor I like to be a little fwd of my Mark then fish back to it.
As wooly said if you go into your sounder menu you will be able to turn the icons off. Most of my fishing in wp has been out of Rhyll/ corinella I never had much luck around joes island.
I have a fishing trip coming up 3 days at stoney point with guys from work we go every year.
Thanks for the advice mate. If I turn the icons off (which I did last time I was out) will it show up fish with different marks? I'm assuming if they do they won't be like they are on a lowrance sounder or something..
Cheers!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:54 am

STriplett1997 wrote:
Nude up wrote:Wp can be a pain to anchor its good when the tide is strong but sooner or later the wind will push you sideways and when the wind and tide are going opposite ways it can be difficult to manage rod placement, brideling sometimes helps. I usually find a spot I know how long it will take my anchor to hit the bottom guess how much the wind will affect my position drive past the mark set the anchor I like to be a little fwd of my Mark then fish back to it.
Thanks for the advice mate. If I turn the icons off (which I did last time I was out) will it show up fish with different marks? I'm assuming if they do they won't be like they are on a lowrance sounder or something..
Cheers!
If you turn the icons off it should display arches if a fish passes through the cone of the transducer, you will not get a perfect arch every time sometimes they can be vertical lines. Have a look at a video/book by a bloke called rick huckstepp he explains it very well.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:17 pm

If you want to see arches, you really need to turn off the "fish symbol" "fish id" icons as has been mentioned. You will then need to have a look at the "sensitivity" in the menu. Crank up the sensitivity until the screen comes up pretty much black, then back off the sensitivity until it just starts to clears up again, and you should then start seeing some kind of marks. You may need to adjust the sensitivity slightly if venturing from deep to shallow water or vise versa. You may also need to slightly adjust it on any given day too, as different conditions make an affect.
You have however stated that this is an older sounder. It may help if you provide further info of what sounder it is, as they have come a long way over the last 15 yrs or so, and there were some basic sounders back then that didnt have a high enough pixel count to see much at all and were best used only for depth.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:26 pm

If you can't use your sounder to find fish focus on structure near channels as well as FRESH bait if you don't get a red at least you are increasing the odds of quality gummy sharks as by catch. Make sure your bait doesn't spin in the current

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:36 pm

Anchoring is a skill learnt over time. Practice makes perfect

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”