Chasing bust ups of Salmon

New South Wales Fishing Reports
sam bros

Chasing bust ups of Salmon

Post by sam bros » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi,

Fishing with my brother as per usual and we launched the boat at Tunks just before sunrise. Tried to get a few squid but no luck, but did manage to get a few yakka. Plan was to try and target some kings with the live bait.
Capture.JPG.ef3199f68ab54204fd061adb916d7bce.JPG
We went near north head and managed to hook up a bonito on one of the yakkas but spat the hook near the boat, apart from that not much else was happening. This was until we saw heaps of birds working a patch of fish about a couple hundred metres away. We quickly motored over there and saw a huge football field sized school of salmon busting up all over the place. I always have a light rod with a small metal lure rigged up handy for times like this. Threw the 10g halco twisty out but was having no luck, the salmon just weren't interested at all. After a couple casts I changed the lure over to a very lightly weighted soft plastic in a sort of clear/greenish colour. We re positioned the boat so the wind was behind us, that way we could get the most distance on the cast. I casted it out and as soon as it hit the water it got smashed and I was onto a nice sized salmon. Now I'm using a very light outfit with only 6lb line and leader so I had to play it safe. The fish jumped several times and I was worried it was going to bust me off. But after a 15 minute fight, finally had it boat side and netted it. The salmon felt about 3kg and very healthy.
thumbnail.jpg.ae2563fa9c320e37cfb9d464754c8ef7.jpg
thumbnail.jpg.ae2563fa9c320e37cfb9d464754c8ef7.jpg (63.45 KiB) Viewed 1167 times

We had a blast chasing the salmon around for the next hour and catching them on light tackle, their were a few frigate mackerel mixed in there as well. All the salmon were fat and looked very healthy.

The swell and wind picked up by then and it became too uncomfortable so we went inside to try for some flathead. Tried a few spots for flathead using soft plastics but no luck. Ended up going to manly and having some food.

All in all it was a wonderful day and really good to be out on the water. With uni break finishing, I don't know when ill be able to go for another fish.

I've been meaning to put more effort into making videos but have struggled to find the time. So hopefully you guys enjoy this video.

Cheers

Amazing Action

https://youtu.be/8sY1tk_wplg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8sY1tk_wplg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sinsemilla

Re: Chasing bust ups of Salmon

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:29 pm

Good work mate and nice videos! How are the kings going off sydney?

Anth

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:28 pm

Great report! Thanks for sharing the vids! Nice work :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:51 pm

Nice salmon

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:17 am

Thats a ripper sunset nice salmon. Fishing in sydney is much better than melbourne you are very lucky

Return to “New South Wales”