No fish at Metung?

Hammy Y

No fish at Metung?

Post by Hammy Y » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:23 am

*UPDATE*

Woke up again this morning at 4:30 and went up to shaving point with some plastics and prawns, stayed for about an hour and a half, caught nothing but did get to see the nice sunrise. Cheers

Staying in metung this week and woke up at 5am yesterday to fish the local jetties but had no luck on plastics or blades. Any tips???

The plastics I've been using are Zman slim swimz 2.5' in watermelon red, mood run and opening night (I've got bloodworm but haven't tried yet) and also zman streakz in Motor Oil. As for blades and vibes theyre really cheap and i assume nasty ones i got off ebay $10 for 6.
Help greatly appreciated,
Cheers.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: No fish at Metung?

Post by hornet » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:20 am

A always take bait as a back up, if lures fail on the day there's a second option... I don't put my faith in one technique.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Jarvi2001

Post by Jarvi2001 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:01 am

Probably because there's usually toadies there but I do catch the odd whiting and pinky there. Try muscles for whiting and the pinkies will eat anything.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:16 am

I never did any good at the jetties near the pub, my kids used to like playing on the beach next to the lake king jetty the back of metung. I used to moor the boat on the end right hand side and catch bream casting out to the right of the jetty. My go to soft plastic for bream is gulp sand worm cut down.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:24 am

You picked a great week to be there
Even if no fish
My go to bait is sandworms, the problem is even fingerlings will take it

Gra

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:17 am

I would head back down to Bairnsdale to the tackleshop and get some quality vibes.
The hurricane sting or vibz models in the black and orange are a great lure. and also a pack of the hurricane grubz in motoroil
If you already have something similar then use that, cast it out as far as possible and use very small hops (10-15cm hops) with long intervals (5-6seconds aleast)
So basically extremely small movement and long pauses, have a tight line and you will know when the fish will hit the vibe, or you will already feel weight on the lure when you go to lift it up

With the plastics, try the same approach and use a 1/16th or 1/8th jighead so your definitely on the bottom.. bloodworm, watermelon red and motoroil are all good colours in the grub and slimswimz

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:50 pm

I think the bream are up the rivers. No rain and cold water, lake is barren
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”