12V Portable Ovens

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: 12V Portable Ovens

Post by rb85 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:29 pm

rb85 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:Thanks guys...that makes perfect sense (I didn't realise that an unused battery's life expectancy was shorter than a used one) Might get an oven to see how long it lasts (& use it on the 'accessories battery'!)
Matt I use a ctek charger in my boat recommend it goes through a multi step charging process that can recondition batteries that appear to be losing power to quickly also goes through a voltage check function that charges batteries as the voltage drops over time.
Ctek charger sorry seems autocorrect got me.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:49 pm

rb85 wrote:
rb85 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:Thanks guys...that makes perfect sense (I didn't realise that an unused battery's life expectancy was shorter than a used one) Might get an oven to see how long it lasts (& use it on the 'accessories battery'!)
Matt I use a ctek charger in my boat recommend it goes through a multi step charging process that can recondition batteries that appear to be losing power to quickly also goes through a voltage check function that charges batteries as the voltage drops over time.
Ive got a Ctek...and agree, it's a cute little thing!

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:51 pm

XalFish wrote:Does that say 150W? If so, it's drawing more current than a lot of sockets are rated for. You are probably best off running a dedicated line and socket for this (fuse it appropriately, close to the battery).

Another thing to keep in mind is that most batteries, even deep cycle ones, do not appreciate being flattened completely.

As above, some level of separation is important between loads and the starter battery. Don't want to get stuck!
Mate, I'm not clever man with all this....it does say 150W....will my 10amp socket be ok with this?

XalFish

Post by XalFish » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:44 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Mate, I'm not clever man with all this....it does say 150W....will my 10amp socket be ok with this?
No. At best the socket will get hot, and the wiring will get hot, and it won't work very well. At worst, either the socket or the wiring will melt or catch on fire. If it's fused at 10 amps, and you pull 11.5 Amps (your battery will be between 12V and 14V depending on charge and type. Let's take 13V as an average. The current drawn is watts divided by volts, so 150/13 = 11.5 Amps), you may blow the fuse but I wouldn't count on it. Fuses generally blow very slowly that close to their rating.

Best off installing a dedicated line for this sort of thing, with a cable rated for the load. 5mm or 6mm twin would be overkill, but a safe bet. Fuse it at 15A close to the battery on the positive wire, and make sure the socket is also rated for 15Amps.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:39 pm

XF good post.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:34 am

Mattblack wrote:
rb85 wrote:
rb85 wrote:
Ive got a Ctek...and agree, it's a cute little thing!
Sure are lol

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:39 am

XalFish wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
No. At best the socket will get hot, and the wiring will get hot, and it won't work very well. At worst, either the socket or the wiring will melt or catch on fire. If it's fused at 10 amps, and you pull 11.5 Amps (your battery will be between 12V and 14V depending on charge and type. Let's take 13V as an average. The current drawn is watts divided by volts, so 150/13 = 11.5 Amps), you may blow the fuse but I wouldn't count on it. Fuses generally blow very slowly that close to their rating.

Best off installing a dedicated line for this sort of thing, with a cable rated for the load. 5mm or 6mm twin would be overkill, but a safe bet. Fuse it at 15A close to the battery on the positive wire, and make sure the socket is also rated for 15Amps.
F-that....might just stick to thermos hotdogs & cuppa-soup. Just for future reference, what would be the max wattage before the wiring and socket starts warming up...100W?

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:37 am

Mattblack wrote:
XalFish wrote:
Mattblack wrote:

F-that....might just stick to thermos hotdogs & cuppa-soup. Just for future reference, what would be the max wattage before the wiring and socket starts warming up...100W?
Themo hotdoga are great tucker

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:45 am

This is why I came to the conclusion the travel buddies are the go. They get hotter. 180-190 degrees instead of 140-150 and they run less current. From memory 6-8A

There's no point spending money upgrading your sockets etc to power the cheap unit when the expensive and highly recommended unit requires no upgrades.

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:55 am

ducky wrote:This is why I came to the conclusion the travel buddies are the go. They get hotter. 180-190 degrees instead of 140-150 and they run less current. From memory 6-8A

There's no point spending money upgrading your sockets etc to power the cheap unit when the expensive and highly recommended unit requires no upgrades.
Thanks Ducky....I'd be buggered without this advice I get off this website!

Return to “Fishing sales, deals and bargains”