Lakes snapper

Hosery

Lakes snapper

Post by Hosery » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:56 pm

4 fish and counting. Conditions are less than ideal at best but as a keen angler with a new outfit that needed a test out im out here. :water:

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Re: Lakes snapper

Post by re-tyred » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:00 pm

Yeah looks like crap out there. was thinking of going but decided to give it a miss. Are you 4 mile or 6 mile. last session we had was western end of 4 mile
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:15 pm

Hosery wrote:4 fish and counting. Conditions are less than ideal at best but as a keen angler with a new outfit that needed a test out im out here. :water:
Nice mate. What size? :)

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:18 pm

Love some pics or tips. Im thinken of a weekend up the tambo with my boys.
Love to get out front of lakes and try for snapper or even a flatty

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:29 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:Love some pics or tips. Im thinken of a weekend up the tambo with my boys.
Bit early for flatties offshore. once the water temp gets to about 15c they will turn up on the beach. Snapper have been pretty good all winter but a bit more challenging now.
S37°58.0998' E147°57.3998'
S37°57.8871' E147°59.7479'
S37°58.9601' E147°59.7122'
These should give you a starting point
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Well ended up with 5 pinkies and 1 leathery. 1 pinkie went 49cm so not a bad fish for this time of the year. Heap of other rubbish. Had a mission anchoring in the conditions 4th time lucky. Fish bit well for an hour than nothing after that. Fished till 5.30 than headed in.
Back at the ramp went to winch the boat up only to find that some scum bag had stolen my winch handle. Lucky a fella was putting his boat in and had a handle to borrow. All in all not a bad arvo after a early knock off. Whole baked snapper tomorrow for dinner
Attachments
IMG_0496.JPG

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:02 pm

re-tyred wrote:Yeah looks like crap out there. was thinking of going but decided to give it a miss. Are you 4 mile or 6 mile. last session we had was western end of 4 mile
Yeah sure was crap out there. When I knocked off was perfect weather. Got to lakes and a decent breeze was up. That and a fairly big swell. Made for crossing the bar a little interesting.

Fished the 6 mile. Water temp is rising! :thumbsup:

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:27 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:Love some pics or tips. Im thinken of a weekend up the tambo with my boys.
What tips do you want? For snapper this time of the year fish light. Light leaders and small baits. Still plenty of pinkies about out there. Need to sound around till You find the fish. I normally hold the boat on the fish and have a drop and hopefully hook a snapper before putting the anchor down. Otherwise anchor on fish. Few flaties out wide but like re-tyred said need the water a little warmer for the flaties in closer.

A mate of mine has been fishing the tambo recently a bit and getting decent bream to 43cm on plastics. Fish are a little hit and miss from day to day but good size fish.

Mjacc

Post by Mjacc » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:33 pm

Hosery wrote:Well ended up with 5 pinkies and 1 leathery. 1 pinkie went 49cm so not a bad fish for this time of the year. Heap of other rubbish. Had a mission anchoring in the conditions 4th time lucky. Fish bit well for an hour than nothing after that. Fished till 5.30 than headed in.
Back at the ramp went to winch the boat up only to find that some scum bag had stolen my winch handle. Lucky a fella was putting his boat in and had a handle to borrow. All in all not a bad arvo after a early knock off. Whole baked snapper tomorrow for dinner
Happy to help with the winch handle, can't believe some people these days. See how we go in the morning

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:17 am

Pinkies. I use 7ft 4kg rod running sinker and 20lb leader. Sometimes a 10lb leader. Two rods. I bait one with a small piece of squid, one with a piece of pilchard. Cast them out and leave the line slack. Wait till the fish has a couple of bites then give it a hit and wind in, if the weight comes on and you get the familiar bang bang bang of a pinky keep winding. If you miss drop it back and slack line it again. If no bites then you have done your bait.
Pinky fishing is location location location. Find some reef with a show of fish on it. Anchor right on it. Have a fish if nothing in 15 minutes move on. Sometimes moving 50mtrs is all it takes.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”