Missing Kayaker 29/7/17

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Missing Kayaker 29/7/17

Post by Basti » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:03 pm

Would something similar to a car roadworthy be feasible? As in you can't purchase or sell a yak without basic safety equipment?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:15 pm

Basti wrote:Would something similar to a car roadworthy be feasible? As in you can't purchase or sell a yak without basic safety equipment?
A mandatory PLB with any kayak purchase?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:40 pm

Then you would have cheap assed PLBs to go with cheap assed kayaks...

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:03 pm

Basti wrote:Would something similar to a car roadworthy be feasible? As in you can't purchase or sell a yak without basic safety equipment?
This would likely just waste time and money.

I would be happy with minimum safety gear requirement which includes a communication device so you can signal for help

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:08 pm

4liters wrote:
That's what I was thinking
laneends wrote:Then you would have cheap assed PLBs to go with cheap assed kayaks...

Better than nothing? Guys who buy decent boats will get one anyway.

Edit: quoted the wrong guy

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:03 pm

4liters wrote:

a PLB wont be much use to you Ian a little birdy told me you now own a new ski it's full EPIRB for you
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:21 pm

I agree with everything you guys are saying but at the end of the day you cant save everyone. Its like the guy that loses it over the edge of a cliff because of crappy brakes or tires. Road worthy certificates stop this happening most of the time but there will always be those few that risk it.

Now that yaking is so big the government should make epirbs and safety gear compulsory in the salt. That will stop most people that want to just buy a cheap yak and cheap gear and get out there because an epirb and safety gear isn't cheap. It might make them think about what they are doing.

Anth

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:39 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:I agree with everything you guys are saying but at the end of the day you cant save everyone. Its like the guy that loses it over the edge of a cliff because of crappy brakes or tires. Road worthy certificates stop this happening most of the time but there will always be those few that risk it.

Now that yaking is so big the government should make epirbs and safety gear compulsory in the salt. That will stop most people that want to just buy a cheap yak and cheap gear and get out there because an epirb and safety gear isn't cheap. It might make them think about what they are doing.

Anth
it becomes quite the problem - really I have an EPIRB and it is a requirement like a boat for off shore anything over 2 nm off the front beaches - now thats to big to put in your pocket so is attached to the kayak and thats connected with a lanyard the same as a boat
If I go over and loose contact with the yak I'm stuffed -- so that brings us to the PLB that will fit in a pocket but is not legal to use as the primary location device except in close - so do we need to carry both
then the other problem arises if you have a PLB it doesn't float upright so you have to hold that the right way up after setting it off - you may need 2 hands to hold you kayak if you can't re mount it

just wondering how many boating guys carry a PLB incase to go overboard
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:43 pm

Theres an idea for you cheaterparts.. Design a compact epirb especially for yakkers..

I only want 5% of sales for this idea!

Anth

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:05 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
4liters wrote:

a PLB wont be much use to you Ian a little birdy told me you now own a new ski it's full EPIRB for you
the little birdy wasn't lying, I might have a few odds and sods in need of welding soon...

I've had an EPIRB for a while now though, I got one when I started taking the Prowler offshore and now it just comes with me on every trip along with the flares
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Kayak Fishing”