Friday 16th June, apollo bay

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
Feathor

Friday 16th June, apollo bay

Post by Feathor » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:27 pm

With the good weather forecasted we decided to have my first crack at the tuna for the year.
Got picked up at 3am by my mate josh and headed to Geelong to pick up another mate who was out from Denmark.
Arrived in apollo bay at 6.45am and set up the boat to launch just before sunrise.
Set off out of the mariner between a healthy swell. The conditions were great , slightly lumpy with a 2-3m swell which got better throughout the day.
We slowly trolled towards small reef with plenty of dolphins, seals and birds smashing the surface. Was pretty hopeful with lots of bait balls on the sounder but couldn't get a strike.
Decided to pull in the lures and head to the reefs. Once we got there it was dead, nothing happening and after another hour trolling we headed back to our previous spot.
After many hours still couldn't raise a tuna. Only catch for the day was a gannet which decided to dive bomb out bibbed lure. He wasn't happy coming into the boat.
After a good 3 -5 trying to remove the hooks and 3 cut fingers when it latched onto my mates hand he flew off in search for a better feed.
Called it quits around 2pm and headed back .
Organised the boat and made our way back to Melb after a nice cold beer and Parma at Lorne hotel.
No fish but a ripper day all the same. Good company and great weather.
Really happy with my new boat after my last was stolen .
Hopefully christen it soon with some good tuna.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Friday 16th June, apollo bay

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:28 am

Better luck next time mate, atleast your happy with the new rig, what did you get this time around.

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:30 am

You probably saw me at the ramp as well. I was there about the same time in a white Sportscraft boat towed by a black Opel Astra hatchback.

We had the exact same experience, except the bird.

Feathor

Post by Feathor » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:22 pm

I did see you there. I was thinking that car looks small for that boat. How does it go with the towing?
I ended up buying an AMF 580 pro series. Incredibly strong and beautifully built. They come with a 10 year warranty. On the hull, super quiet through the water.

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:43 am

:) Yes everyone asks me that question at the ramp.

Its an awesome car for towing. I use it daily to travel around Melbourne for work and then we use is nearly every weekend to tow the boat and 3 crew up to Portland. Its a 2L turbo diesel with 350NM and 1.8tone tow kit installed.

Awesome boats man - love the AMF.

Feathor

Post by Feathor » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:40 pm

The turbo must work overtime. That's a lot of boat, would have though it would be close to 2tonne kitted out. Easy on the fuel I guess.
When's your next trip offshore?

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:13 am

Its an awsome car, one I'd recommend hands down. Only issue in 4 years of hard work has been a snapped serpentine belt.

Was planning to head out this Sat but swell is ridiculous, so next weekend I guess.

Lately it seems like we go tuna fishing nearly every weekend :)

Return to “Game Fishing”