Wilson Gwme rods.

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Wilson Gwme rods.

Post by rb85 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:51 pm

Looking at purchasing a few new game rods.
Anyone here own wilson live fibre venoms?

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Wilson Gwme rods.

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:38 pm

rb85 wrote:Looking at purchasing a few new game rods.
Nearly did, a bloke on FB was selling them and said make me an offer, and I did.(and that when the fight started)

Then he called me and idiot.

Always suspicious of people who have high value items and want to sell after a year, for almost the same price as they are valued at brand new.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:27 pm

The venom series wilson rods are really nice but stupid expensive.. plenty of other rods that will do the same job for half the money

Cheers, Anth

ncr1

Post by ncr1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Depends on whether you're talking about the fully rollered RLFVG range, or whether you're looking at using the parabolic jigging style venoms to use as game rods. If you're talking about the RLFVGs, then Sinsemilla is correct, they are very expensive. This is mainly because they are fitted with the top-of-the-range Winthrop roller guides which cost a fortune in themselves. I've never picked one of these rods up or heard any reports about them, so no comment about these ones.

However, if you're talking about using one of their jigging style rods to use for standup game, then I would advise some caution. I'm literally writing about that now in my next thread (apologies for taking so long on this too!). But as a jigging rod used for it's main purpose, I've heard good reports, although I've never used one. I'm pretty sure the blanks are marketed under the Synit label, so just google that if you want some more market research.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:03 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
rb85 wrote:Looking at purchasing a few new game rods.
Nearly did, a bloke on FB was selling them and said make me an offer, and I did.(and that when the fight started)

Then he called me and idiot.

Always suspicious of people who have high value items and want to sell after a year, for almost the same price as they are valued at brand new.
Not a massive fan of that either Wolly

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:04 pm

ncr1 wrote:Depends on whether you're talking about the fully rollered RLFVG range, or whether you're looking at using the parabolic jigging style venoms to use as game rods. If you're talking about the RLFVGs, then Sinsemilla is correct, they are very expensive. This is mainly because they are fitted with the top-of-the-range Winthrop roller guides which cost a fortune in themselves. I've never picked one of these rods up or heard any reports about them, so no comment about these ones.

However, if you're talking about using one of their jigging style rods to use for standup game, then I would advise some caution. I'm literally writing about that now in my next thread (apologies for taking so long on this too!). But as a jigging rod used for it's main purpose, I've heard good reports, although I've never used one. I'm pretty sure the blanks are marketed under the Synit label, so just google that if you want some more market research.
After the rollered game rod considering this or maybe a custom builder.

ncr1

Post by ncr1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:51 pm

Ok. Maybe wait a day or two and I'll have the next part of my thread posted. It's got quite a few detailed recommendations on how I go through the game rod decision process - your question was well timed in this regard!

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:00 pm

ncr1 wrote:Ok. Maybe wait a day or two and I'll have the next part of my thread posted. It's got quite a few detailed recommendations on how I go through the game rod decision process - your question was well timed in this regard!
Good stuff mate look forward to it. Cheers

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:03 pm

Venom? I've held 2, awesome feel... But at over $1300 a pop I'll stick with something else unless someone donates a few million into my pocket

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

cobby wrote:Venom? I've held 2, awesome feel... But at over $1300 a pop I'll stick with something else unless someone donates a few million into my pocket
The way I'm considering the purchase of Game gear is that I hope the equipment will last long term. This doesn't mean I will purchase this particular rod.

The other consideration is where the rod and components are manufactured but that's another topic.

Will read what NCR's views on the matter in his next instalment of his very informative thread.

Return to “Game Fishing”