a clip from the 3rd round of the stealth summer series

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

a clip from the 3rd round of the stealth summer series

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:54 pm

nice little clip from the Adder Rock round of the Stealth Summer series - it looked a bit bumpy out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jG6o97ovYk

the last round is at Coffs Harbour late May half a dozen of us from Vic are travelling up for this event which is a 2 day off shore event and we will slide back to South West Rocks for a week after that
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Re: a clip from the 3rd round of the stealth summer series

Post by laneends » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:04 pm

Makes it look precarious perched on those skinny yaks in the choppy conditions

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:43 pm

Great vid, thanks for sharing. It must get the blood pumping when you're on a big fish.

How does the gear hold up in those conditions?
quid est quod eum

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:09 pm

ratbag wrote:
How does the gear hold up in those conditions?
biggest problem is damage to gear going through the surf mainly if you turtle - however all the off shore ski type kayaks will fit 4 rigged rods inside the hatch safe and sound for this

reels are always a problem in any kayak fishing they are drowned almost ever trip so finding something that works and is cost effective is a chore
most guys I know tend to use Penn Slammers as they handle the salt pretty well there drags work fine and they are cheap to replace

it's hard to find an equal in the 75 - 85 dollar range
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:26 pm

Top vid mate. Enjoyed watching it :thumbsup:

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:50 pm

cheaterparts wrote: biggest problem is damage to gear going through the surf mainly if you turtle - however all the off shore ski type kayaks will fit 4 rigged rods inside the hatch safe and sound for this

reels are always a problem in any kayak fishing they are drowned almost ever trip so finding something that works and is cost effective is a chore
most guys I know tend to use Penn Slammers as they handle the salt pretty well there drags work fine and they are cheap to replace

great setups with the yaks, shame there isn't a reel that'll have a good seal in the low $$ with some serious grunt. I admire the guys who have the courage to paddle out in the swell & come back with some great catches. :-D
quid est quod eum

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:00 pm

shithouse conditions but looks pretty fun nonetheless.
ratbag wrote:
cheaterparts wrote: biggest problem is damage to gear going through the surf mainly if you turtle - however all the off shore ski type kayaks will fit 4 rigged rods inside the hatch safe and sound for this

great setups with the yaks, shame there isn't a reel that'll have a good seal in the low $$ with some serious grunt. I admire the guys who have the courage to paddle out in the swell & come back with some great catches. :-D
The cheapest I've seen looks to be the Slammer III reels which look pretty good, a bit like a poor man's Van Staal. They're over $300 though which isn't exactly cheap given the ever present risk of losing things over the side. I think the Spinfisher SSV is 'water resistant' but those are still $150+ which is more than I'd rather be spending on kayaking reels never mind, I've found them for just over $100
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:10 pm

You can't beat the Penn slammers for price verses longevity in salt water, the 560 bait runners are excellent as well as the non runner version, the max drag settings are up there with the best of them expensive reels, most my reels are now slammers and shimano's ...
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:23 pm

hornet wrote:You can't beat the Penn slammers for price verses longevity in salt water, the 560 bait runners are excellent as well as the non runner version, the max drag settings are up there with the best of them expensive reels, most my reels are now slammers and shimano's ...
over the Aust day W/E Jordo pulled a 19 kg tuna with a slammer 460 and the reel held up really well line capacity was a little scary at times and the 560 would have been better

must say I'm getting keen to get up north in May for the last round of this series
My kayak PBs

Cheater

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:52 pm

Looked like hard work getting that mack in! I take my hat off to you blokes!

Cheers, Anth

Return to “Kayak Fishing”