Queenscliff pier dilemma 28/2

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
HyperX

Queenscliff pier dilemma 28/2

Post by HyperX » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:47 am

I recently purchased a new eging rod, Daiwa emeraldas and wanted to try it out. But before I headed went to the pier, i headed down to the harbour to see if there were any trevally and first cast, a nice 35cm trevally. Another followed immediately but slightly smaller. Tried for an hour with no hook ups so I gave up and went to the pier for the squids.

So changing the subject but my rod is whats called the interline where the line goes through the inside of the rod and so the handle piece has one guide then the line goes inside the rod with the 2nd piece having no guides. So while fishing, I realised that the line wasnt going through the first guide so I had to take the rod apart the fix the problem. And just as i fixing the line, the 2nd piece rolled into the crack of the pier, and down into the ocean :o_0: .
After digesting just what had happened, i tried looking for the lost piece but since it was before sunrise and the water condition being rather bad, I had no chance of finding the lost piece. So at this point I was ready to quit fishing but I couldnt give up just yet so went back to the car to get a spare rod and kill time till sunrise where I hopefully could find it. During that time I managed a pretty good size squid which would have been great if I hadn't lost my rod. I was ready to give up hope and even called daiwa to see how much a replacement would cost(got told about half price of the rod). So finally the sun was up and I went under the pier to examine the site and YES there it is. With that I got into my underwear and went for a swim. Had another fishermen give me rough guides on where the rod was and with about 10 dive attempts i got my piece back.

So the moral of the story is if the cracks are horizontal, place the rod vertical so that it wont fall down. Also carry goggles and flippers

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Queenscliff pier dilemma 28/2

Post by Texas » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:55 am

Thanks for the read,I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Going to "hooked on", to have a look at the rod you described, I've never seen one.

Cheers
Gra

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:55 am

Your story is the stuff of nightmares mate. You are very lucky you found it! Great dedication though mate! :thumbsup:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:55 am

Glad you were able to get it back mate :P

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:06 pm

It must have been worth a bit or just sentimental about the rod,s..t their are 3 meter sharks in that water this time of the year.I got to say you are keen and must have no fear,good on ya mate.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:21 pm

I think the moral of the story is never forget to wear undies

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Mattblack wrote:I think the moral of the story is never forget to wear undies
:rofl: :rofl:

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:19 pm

Heard a few stories about interline rods.
Just don't get a windknot that goes up inside.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:00 pm

I didn't know you could get an egi model in the interline series ?
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

HyperX

Post by HyperX » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:16 pm

I might have given up if it was any other rod but this rod was brand new so I couldnt give up since I only had like 3 casts. And it was expensive too.

So if there is anyone interested getting a interline rod, its kind of hard to recommend because setting up the rod is a complete ****. Also its easy to fall through the cracks and since it has no guides, you cant use a gaff to recover it since it wont hook onto anything. Well, once the rod is set up properly, it wont have any line trouble so thats a plus but....

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”