Warneet to Quail Bank - Low Tide?

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Warneet to Quail Bank - Low Tide?

Post by yepi'mon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:00 am

Looking for some advice on how suitable the Warneet ramp is for launching an hour and half before and after low tide in a 5.25 Brooker Discovery. Have never fished the northern part of the bay before but going to give it a try tomorrow. Will be launching at hastings and fishing around quail bank.

I've checked satellite and navionics and I am assuming it's not going to be a problem.... just want to make sure before I get there.

Thanks guys :cheers:

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Warneet to Quail Bank - Low Tide?

Post by cobby » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:39 am

Should do it, unless it's busy and you have to wait. If that happens, head down the channel a bit and fish the edges until traffic dies down and there's more water

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:05 pm

It depends on how low the low tide is. I think an hour and a half either side you should be ok pretty much ok. As a rule of thumb, if the boat launching pontoon is floating you should be fine to launch your boat. If it's stuck in the mud, wait a little bit. It is a very shallow entry and exit to that ramp. When you launch head straight out parallel with the jetty until you get to the orange boy and then turn towards the channel markers. You'll likely still mow the lawn a little bit around the low tide. Also, follow the channel markers all they way out of the channel, don't hang a right when you see plenty of water in front of of quail bank before you get to the last markers as it gets very shallow, very quick. At high tide you can take all sorts of shortcuts up the top end but you need to know your way around before you attempt this. Many boats have found themselves waiting out for high water to get them unstuck because they thought they could take a shortcut.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:26 pm

morning low is 1.3m afternoon low is 0.81. Hour an a half before morning low should be easy at least
skronkman wrote: Also, follow the channel markers all they way out of the channel, don't hang a right when you see plenty of water in front of of quail bank before you get to the last markers as it gets very shallow, very quick. .
This is important,you cant even cut across in a kayak when its low, you have to go all the way out to the end of channel markers

yepi'mon

Post by yepi'mon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:58 pm

Thanks guys - sounds like it should be ok as long as I don't stray to much!

drewb

Post by drewb » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:03 am

Check out this weeks Mornington tackleworld fishing report if you want to see how important it is to stay in the channels...

yepi'mon

Post by yepi'mon » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:04 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. Great place to launch and love having that tackle shop at the ramp!

Unfortunately no fish around except for a few very small pinkies and a very baby gummy!

Vargs

Post by Vargs » Wed May 31, 2017 10:21 am

The forecast is looking good this weekend so I plan to head out to Quail bank at the run out tide. Anyone have much of a view on how deep is best in that area on the run out? Should I be just on the edge of the bank in 2-3 m of water or move out to 6 m or more? After whiting, squid and flatties.

Never had a lot of luck in the area but seems to be good in some reports.

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”