Lake Wendouree

Nightwish

Lake Wendouree

Post by Nightwish » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:23 am

Went for another fish on Lake Wendouree on Friday,l was there just as the sun was rising l don't know if that will make a difference but will wait and see.
ln the first hour all l caught was about 10 little reddies between about 15cm and 20cm long some caught on mudeyes and some on worms.
At about 8.30am l caught my first rainbow.
WP_20170217_07_49_34_Pro[1].jpg
After then things started to pick up,one of my rods really started to loose some line and when l landed the fish it was a brown trout,l don't catch many browns and the way this one was taking line l thought l had something fairly decent on.
WP_20170217_11_07_58_Pro[1].jpg
The action was really starting to take off,l had to take one of my rods out as they were both getting bites at the same time,just before l took my second rod out l had one fish in the net and another on the line so l ended up with two rainbows in the net at the same time.
WP_20170217_10_44_16_Pro[1].jpg

l don't like to throw the rainbows straight back as they seem to need a bit of swimming before they are released or they don't survive.
Between 8.30am and about 1pm l think l caught around 8 to 10 rainbows, one brown and a heap of little reddies,it was like these fish hadn't had a feed in ages as l was catching them on worms and even dead mudeyes,l don't catch many on worms and l only use dead mudeyes when l run out of live ones but today l thought l would give the dead ones a go to see what happens.
After 1pm things started to slow down so l put my second rod back in and caught 1 more rainbow and a few reddies,unfortunately none of the reddies were keepers.
WP_20170217_11_57_02_Pro[1].jpg
By now at about 3pm the wind was really starting to get up and it was about time to go but l had one more really good run by what looked like to be the largest rainbow l have had on my line but unfortunately it got caught around one of the rowing bouy lane markers and busted me off and as they say s**t happens but overall it has been another fantastic day on Lake Wendouree.
l am not sure why things are going this well but l will take it while it lasts.
All but 2 rainbows were released,one had some damage to its eye and the other l couldn't get to swim properly

:cheers:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Lake Wendouree

Post by Lightningx » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:39 am

Great report mate! Nice catch and pics :thumbsup:

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:44 am

Good day out and nice catches of fish, cheers davo :a_goodjob:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:19 pm

great report & your perseverance paid off!
quid est quod eum

coln72

Post by coln72 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Damn, knew I shoulda given Lake Wendouree a go this morning instead of flicking a few lures near Creswick

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:14 pm

coln72 wrote:Damn, knew I shoulda given Lake Wendouree a go this morning instead of flicking a few lures near Creswick
l reckon your right as the lake seems to be full of hungry fish at the moment.
l take my hat off to you though today wasn't a great day to be out in the elements.
Did you have any luck today?

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:21 pm

Well done on your catches with some nice trout being caught.. You're right about the rainbows they do take some time to recover as they stress out very quickly and can go belly up, where as the browns are a much stronger fish and have a much better survival rate.. great day on the water.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

coln72

Post by coln72 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:02 am

Nightwish wrote:
coln72 wrote:Damn, knew I shoulda given Lake Wendouree a go this morning instead of flicking a few lures near Creswick
l take my hat off to you though today wasn't a great day to be out in the elements.
Not even a follow :(
Yeah weather was crappy but flicking lures was a better option to sitting in the basketball stadium for 2 hours watching the young fella train

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:07 pm

meppstas wrote:Well done on your catches with some nice trout being caught.. You're right about the rainbows they do take some time to recover as they stress out very quickly and can go belly up, where as the browns are a much stronger fish and have a much better survival rate.. great day on the water.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
I believe rainbow trout require more oxygen hence the longer recovery and their tendency to sit in the faster water while browns dominate the backwaters.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:21 pm

coln72 wrote:
Nightwish wrote:
Not even a follow :(
Yeah weather was crappy but flicking lures was a better option to sitting in the basketball stadium for 2 hours watching the young fella train
l know where your coming from there as far as watching kids train

Return to “Grampians and Surrounds Fishing Reports”