Metung

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
howpar

Metung

Post by howpar » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi All
I am going to Metung Next week for four days for some fishing in my boat. I have never fished there before and would like some advice on where to fish and what I could expect to catch at this time of the year. Regards Alex

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Metung

Post by crumpet_avenger » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:13 pm

I used to boat across to 150 meters off kalimna jetty. Caught whiting and sandcrabs from there. I used to pump bass yabbies before i went there and they were dynamite.

Drift across the lakes for flatty with a pillie fillet. Nice size diwn that a way.

Tried for bream on the metung piers but they never seem to play. Same as the Tambo river which used to be my annual holiday until i got sick of decreased catch rates.
Even the locals say its hardwork these days.

Goodluck. Let us no how u go

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:58 am

Shoot down to lakes mate. Better fishing prospects imo

howpar

Post by howpar » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:33 pm

Thanks for your advice, I will let you know how we go. Howpar

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:14 pm

If you are into flicking lures all along the shore line from the pub to the yacht club holds bream the island directly opposite metung all the boat moorings hold bream. When my kids were little I spent hours tied up to the lake king jetty the other side of metung catching bream while the kids and the dog played on the beach. If you like surf fishing take your boat to barriers landing tie up and walk over the sand dunes fantastic beach there. Opposite kalimna jetty there are some channel markers I have done ok there as well .

howpar

Post by howpar » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:56 pm

Thank you for your advice

howpar

Post by howpar » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:54 pm

We are back from Metung, weather was poor, very windy and could only go out for a couple of hours on Tuesday and Thursday, mainly fished Bancroft Bay, only a few Bream and Flathead, no size. As they say its great being out on the water, catching fish is a plus. Even the locals told us that the fishing had been very poor. Ramp was a bit dissy in the wind. Great spot and we will certainly go back.

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”