Rye, Sorrento and the RIP 28/01/17

Rosebud, Tootgarook, Rye, Blairgowrie, Sorrento
Sinsemilla

Rye, Sorrento and the RIP 28/01/17

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:40 pm

Just a quick report from yesterday.
Headed out from Sorrento with a plan to catch a few squid first up then go for kings. Didn't manage any squid, Only got a couple follows. The wind didn't give up and made drifting a bit hard.
I brought some squid anyway so headed to the RIP. Cruised around watching the sounder, with lots of bait and heaps of birds around we thought we'd be in for a good chance.
Right in front of our boat a big school of tuna started busting up but only for about 30secs before every man and his dog ran over the school.
Only one tuna was landed by Reel time fishing charters. That was the only fish we saw landed all day in the RIP. The tuna didn't show themselves again after that. This all happened well inside the RIP for anyone that's curious.
After searching around for another couple hours with nothing showing up on the sounder we headed back to Rye and finished off with a mixed bag of KGW and Trevs with a few Pinkies mixed in. Biggest KGW went around 45cm.

Cheers, Anth

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Rye, Sorrento and the RIP 28/01/17

Post by 4liters » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:51 pm

Pity about the lack of kings, sounds like a reasonable consolation prize though.

I wonder how far into the bay the tuna will push as the numbers increase and there is more competition for food in their preferred waters?

I'm also wondering how long before some muppet in a kayak or a tinny comes to grief after entering the rip lured by the chance of kings and tuna?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:53 pm

Great report Anth! Bad luck with the kings but sounds like you cleaned up later with a nice mixed bag :thumbsup:

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:30 pm

Thanks fellas, Yeah the KGW saved the day!

Another thing to mention is when i was on my kgw spot off Rye i caught heaps of yellow tail scad and slimey macs which is unusual. I reckon the kings would be all along the coast. There is heaps of bait around. Not just in the rip.

With the tuna being inside the bay.. Im not sure because there is heaps of bait offshore and the water is cooler..

I think they should ban Kayaks from getting to close to the heads. The current rips so hard through there i have to sit on around 3000rpm to go against it. A kayak wouldn't have a chance. As for a tinny.. You have to at least have a 30hp on the back and just be really careful.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:52 pm

we seen those tuna on thursday way out in the distance from the rip offshore , massive school of birds circling , skipper called it for tuna, and bam few days later they are in the bay.

well done on the other fish though better than donuts

and we and few others i know had the same problem, couldnt catch any squid to use as livies.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:29 pm

Tomorrow looks like it is out of the equation with a strong wind warning. Tuesday is a possible goer.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:51 pm

were they sbt or stripey tuna did you see. hoping to head out friday on my last day off but will depend on the weather.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:02 pm

Definitely sbt nude up. Few other schools kicking around 'metro' waters apparently

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:22 pm

cobby wrote:Definitely sbt nude up. Few other schools kicking around 'metro' waters apparently
thanks cobby you must be on nightshift as well up this late on a sunday

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:39 pm

Nude up wrote:
cobby wrote:Definitely sbt nude up. Few other schools kicking around 'metro' waters apparently
thanks cobby you must be on nightshift as well up this late on a sunday
Haha. I certainly am on NS

I got the first tuna report in the bay over a month ago. Good to see people have finally got one.

Return to “Rosebud to Sorrento/Portsea”