Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by Cornacarpio » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:09 pm

Headed back to CL today for a bit of carpooning. I was getting bites left, right and centre...but couldn't manage to hook any of them! After about 2 hours I had nothing on the bank and I was tempted to go home when finally my float submerged. A small school must have been swimming through, because I got 5 in a relatively short space of time. All were taken on bread under a float, bar one which was taken on bread with a running sinker.

The highlight of the day was catching a nice little mirror Carp, my first from CL.

+5

2015/16 Total: 35 (Cumulative Total: 1472)

Carp are also introduced by foolish but well-intentioned people who release their pets into waterways when they grow too large or the family goes on holidays.

From the Australian Fish Guide by Frank Prokop, (2012),p.9
Attachments
20170110_194108.jpg
20170110_182859.jpg
A nice little mirror
IMG_5856.jpg
Ended up with 5 all up
20170110_195124.jpg
CL is proving to be a popular spot for anglers...
Last edited by Cornacarpio on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:31 pm

Nice work once again mate. Great pics :thumbsup:

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:20 pm

Headed back to CL today just for something different. When I turned up someone was in my spot. To make matters worse, he seemed to be catching fish too! Oh well, I had no choice but to pull up about 200 yards beside him...

It wasn't long before I was on. A mirror Carp - my second one in as many outings from CL. I got another small one straight after that before it went quiet for a while. Then, after about 2 hours a 'massive' Carp tried to swallow my float. Lucky for me, after that he decided the bread about 15cm under it was far more appetising (I assume it was the same fish that tried to eat my float). All the way in, there was another, even bigger Carp following it all the way in. If I had a proper landing net, I reckon I would be able to of netted it. The 'big' Carp I landed went about 67cm (Again the 70cm barrier eludes me). I reckon the other one swimming with it was about 72cm. After that little episode, old mate came over and introduced himself. I kind of wish I had of shouted out to him when I was reeling it in, as he had a landing net. He said he hadn't been fishing for 3 years and couldn't believe his luck - this was the most fish he had ever caught in a single outing - I think he had 6-8 Carp in his creel at the time. And from what I could tell he had lost a few as well. I got one more small one after that before deciding to call it quits.

I went over to old mate before I left to say goodbye. During which time his bells starting ringing, so I grabbed his landing net, eagerly awaiting to assist...then his other rod started going and he said "grab it grab it". I didn't need much convincing as I took his rod and landed a nice little Carp that virtually swam straight in. Old mate's Carp wasn't quite going so swimmingly - he got snagged and was forced to cut the line. So I could nearly claim I caught 5 Carp for the day...but not really, as I was using his apparatus.

All in in all, nearly an identical haul to the other day's effort - a mirror and a 'big Carp' to the tune of 67cm, but I assure you they are different fish!

+4

2015/16 Total: 39 (Cumulative Total: 1476)

Fishing

Although much maligned, the carp is a powerful fighting fish, especially on light line. Carp are here to stay and in many urban areas provide fishing where little or none was previously available. They can reach 10kg or more but are more common at 2 – 5 kilograms.

From the Australian Fish Guide by Frank Prokop, (2012), p.9
Attachments
IMG_5861.jpg
Another nice little mirror...
IMG_5863.jpg
IMG_5864.jpg
Finding it hard to crack the 70cm barrier again...
IMG_5868.jpg
I found it hard keeping my carp in tip-top condition for a photo shoot without a creel...
IMG_5869.jpg
CL - A popular Carp spot just a stone's throw from the city
Last edited by Cornacarpio on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:29 pm

Nice work mate :good:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Good stuff mate :thumbsup:

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:29 pm

The weather was too good not to go fishing today, so I headed out to my new-found local, CL. I got 2 pretty much straight away and thought "Gee, I'm in for a good day here" before it went quiet...really quiet. After an hour or so of no-bites, I decided to move around a bit, sight-casting at the various schools of Carp I could see. This led to a near instantaneous change in fortune - I landed a nice little Carp and another one quickly followed. Then it went quiet again. I moved along the bank every 20 yards or so trying different things - a change in bait, having one rod far out and one close in until I would get a bite. This seemed to work - I would usually catch 2 in quick succession before it would go quiet again before moving on to the next 'hot spot'. This technique seemed to work to an extent - I ended up with 8 all up.

I find trying new things has helped me 'read' CL a bit better - by trying different techniques/rigs/spots I found my catch rates have improved compared to the first few times I hit up CL. While I'm not at the TNA level of Carp-catching just yet, I feel a big bag isn't too far around the corner...

+8

:fish22:

2015/16 Total: 47 (Cumulative Total: 1484)

Carp can be taken on a wide variety of bait rigs, but coarse fishing techniques elevate carp to a much higher level. The use of coarse fishing gear, rigs and baits such as corn kernels and maggots can account for big bags of carp. Carp take wet flies well and occasionally take lures intended for trout.

From the Australian Fish Guide by Frank Prokop, (2012), p.9
Attachments
20170112_174454.jpg
First Carp for the day
20170112_180101.jpg
Another mirror
IMG_5870.jpg
I thought this would be the last photo for the day...
IMG_5877.jpg
8 all up
Last edited by Cornacarpio on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:04 pm

1184..can you make a collage of your photos? I wonder how 1184 will look like in 1 page. :-)

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:49 am

Good to see your getting a few C.C.
I think you've lost your artistic flare, since the TNA days.

b.t.w.-anybody been to TNA lately ???

Cheers
Gra

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:24 pm

Fish-cador wrote:1184..can you make a collage of your photos? I wonder how 1184 will look like in 1 page. :-)
No...but I can give you a collage of all the Carp I've caught over 70cm :/
Attachments
70cm--CARP.jpg
Top:

deathray
Has liked: 8 times

Post by deathray » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Great work of recent CC. Much appreciated pic of a toxic avenger mirror- they're way cooler than those clean looking lake mirrors.

Return to “Other Species”