Moving axles forward advice.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Moving axles forward advice.

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:46 am

I take that back, then, might try that on my boat trailer, however I still need to have heavier duty springs in the back.

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:52 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:I take that back, then, might try that on my boat trailer, however I still need to have heavier duty springs in the back.
If you change over your springs, check the axle weight is correct for your trailer, you might find that may need to be changed over as well.

I'll try to get a pic sometime soon on the modified bracket I have, unfortunately the trailer is in gjppsand and I'm back in Melb.
quid est quod eum

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:10 pm

ratbag wrote:what vehicle do you have? Is the issue a weight distribution for towing? you can get some simple tow systems to spread the weight. I picked up a set of theses & had the trailer bracket welded to fit on the single draw bar.
wdh1.jpg
If you are going to use something like this make sure your vehicle is suitable eg a falcon without a HD tow bar fitted cannot be used with one of these.

Principle is it spreads the load towards the front of the vehicle to keep it level. So the tow bar needs to able to accommodate this. A standard falcon bar cannot (warning in car manual).

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:46 pm

Yes it also adds load to the trailer wheels.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:25 pm

chris srsc wrote:definitely needs weight on tow ball, how does it tow? are you only moving it forward to make it easier to put on?

tows fine
want to make less tow ball weight so when go on holidays the back of the car isnt down so much

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:26 pm

ratbag wrote:what vehicle do you have? Is the issue a weight distribution for towing? you can get some simple tow systems to spread the weight. I picked up a set of theses & had the trailer bracket welded to fit on the single draw bar.
wdh1.jpg

already got one of these, didnt make much difference

Paulanderson
Has liked: 48 times

Post by Paulanderson » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:38 pm

I had a 5 m Quinnie Fishmaster with a 70 HP Evinrude for a long time so very similar to your rig. The Quinnie towed well with about 45-50 kg on the tow ball. I also support the idea of shifting the winch post as long as you do not get a lot of overhang at the stern of the boat. You should not have to shift it very far. Much easier than shifting the axle.

Westfish

Post by Westfish » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:58 am

Paulanderson wrote:I had a 5 m Quinnie Fishmaster with a 70 HP Evinrude for a long time so very similar to your rig. The Quinnie towed well with about 45-50 kg on the tow ball. I also support the idea of shifting the winch post as long as you do not get a lot of overhang at the stern of the boat. You should not have to shift it very far. Much easier than shifting the axle.
As above.
Place a block between the boat and the winch post to test the difference before moving it.
That way you can get the weight/balance right and mark it up before you undo anything.
(Not my idea, mate showed me).

Return to “Boating”