Slow going after an early start..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Slow going after an early start..

Post by meppstas » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:20 pm

Slow going after an early start.

Left home for a spin session in the river in what was beautiful weather conditions this morning at 5:10am. Arrived at the river to find the it was running at a nice height for wading and there were trout on the rise, surface feeding in most sections of the river. This wasn't going to be in my favor at all because it means the lure fishing will be tough going. I was in the river flicking a Rapala F-3 rainbow pattern lure around for some ten minutes or so before changing to a small copper black fury in a small fast water run. It was here I had a small (260 gm) brown take the spinner, I didn't waste any time getting it in and soon had it back in the river.
First trout of the day (Medium).JPG
First trout of the morning..
I moved onto a wide slow flowing medium depth stretch of river that was around five hundred meters long. With trout rising in most areas on the river it became a very frustrating seeing them breaking the surface knowing all the time they're not one bit interested in what I'm offering them this morning. I threw Mepps blacks fury's, Aglia's, bug spinners at them all to no avail, even the Rapala's, Muzza and Atomic lures could attract any interest from them either. It wasn't until I had reached the head water and started working it's fast water that I picked up a solid 390 gm rainbow trout on a copper black fury. I had a feeling it will be a day of more rainbows than browns which I don't mind at all as they're aggressive and a fighting fish. I looked closely at the water surface to see what the trout where feeding on. I found it to be little midges that are the size of a match head, how the hell they can spot them beats me.
IMG_3392 (Medium).JPG
Rainbow water..
IMG_3384 (Medium).JPG
First rainbow..
I decided it would be best for me to bypass the long slow flowing stretches of river and just concentrate on the fast water runs where I know I'll have a better chance of catching a few more trout. My feeling was correct about catching more rainbows because that's exactly how it worked out by the end of the session some two hours later. I finished up catching three more nice rainbows and two small browns from eight hook ups in what was a tough day on the river. I feel I was lucky to have ended the day with seven trout caught and released, all being taken on the copper black fury. On Sunday 8th & Monday 9th I have the father & son coming with me to have two days trout fishing on a river. They're over from Sth Aust and have never caught a trout let alone trout fished a river before. Hopefully they'll both get a fish or two..
IMG_3387 (Medium).JPG
Another solid 'bow.
IMG_3393 (Medium).JPG
And another...
IMG_3388 (Medium).JPG
head shot, great colours in the fish..
IMG_3386 (Medium).JPG
Nice one...
IMG_3398 (Medium).JPG
My fan club watching on..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Slow going after an early start..

Post by Boonanza » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:49 pm

Another great report & pics :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:55 pm

Enjoyed the read Adrian! Really nice pics as always :thumbsup:

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:51 pm

Thanks guys, Certainly glad the river holds some rainbows too... :)

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Johand

Post by Johand » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:00 pm

Great photos love the colours

cahoona
Has liked: 15 times

Post by cahoona » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:42 am

great report some great photos to

Return to “Tasmania”