Fishing Shows - Television.

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Fishing Shows - Television.

Post by russellh2 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:41 am

I have been watching Fishing Shows on Television for a very long time and have recently reduced my viewing of many of them.

In my wildest imagination I can not UNDERSTAND why the hosts and producers of many of these shows think that they appeal to the wide community of fisherman.

Who can afford to visit the exotic places / Buy the ultra high priced Tackle / Hire Boats etc. etc. They are advertising forums for Companies and Equipment.

Maybe it is about time they went back to the basics of both Saltwater and Freshwater fishing, explained rigs / Rods Line / Locations.

In my 40+years of fishing I have been a "Grass Roots" fisherman and have enjoyed every fishing trip I have ever been on - Enjoying the outdoors - Catch a fish is still a bonus.

Huntnfish

Re: Fishing Shows - Television.

Post by Huntnfish » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:49 am

I don't watch fishing shows on tv anymore if i want to get any tips and watch ad free fishing i always go on youtube

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:35 am

I've really been enjoying "Fishing Impossible" ... Like Top Gear for fishing ... Funny stuff

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Lots of terrible fishing shows out there.....

one2three

Post by one2three » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:30 pm

russellh2 wrote:Maybe it is about time they went back to the basics of both Saltwater and Freshwater fishing, explained rigs / Rods Line / Locations.
I totally agree. :banana:

This is why forum fishing site like this is far better :a_goodjob: :a_goodjob: :a_goodjob:

:-D

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:28 pm

poodoo wrote:Lots of terrible fishing shows out there.....
.way to many

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:42 pm

Every time this topic comes up there seems to be a general feeling of a need for a real back to basics type show.
And one that fishes local rivers, streams, the bay.....land based.
Even when i chat to others while fishing or just out and about - I hear the same.
Yet all we seem to keep seeing on TV is the same - over the top, mega bucks fishing gear, boats and locations that the average fisher person will never see. Yes good to see the high end occasionally, but would prefer to see some guy fishing the Yarra, the Nong, some little suburban creek or round the bays, off the beach - land based - catching the fish we catch, and showing us how to improve the catch.
But I won't hold my breath.....so better to ignore the crap and just get out and wet a line myself.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:00 pm

There's one from the US you should watch, it's called Niggers on the River. It's on YouTube, look it up.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:35 pm

About the only one i watch is hook line n sinker. It's still mainly a giant add but i like the way the hosts interact/sledge each other.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Whilst I agree the grass roots style fishing shows do pop up every now and then but tend not to last. I remember blokes complaining how boring it was to watch they same guys catching the same fish every week.

As for exotic equipment I don't agree, the equipment used is often similar to what I use (the right tool for the job) and the destinations each to there own but most years I do a fishing trip away ie South East coast, NW WA ect. If you want to they are not out of reach of the average fisho.

Return to “General”