Brooker 460,60 merc
download (4).jpg
download (4).jpg (8.23 KiB) Viewed 910 times
Savage 60merc
images (3).jpg
images (3).jpg (14.14 KiB) Viewed 910 times
Would prefer savage but about 5g more expensive
Prefer yamaha over mercury....

Do dealers throw in sounders or anything to get you to buy.
Ta

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Buying a boat

Post by Boonanza » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:32 pm

If you are in the market for Brand new and can wait till the boat show in June you will probably get a good deal. As far as sounders they might have one included in a package deal but they are normally el cheapo's so better off screwing them on price and getting a good sounder yourself.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:14 pm

Those types are awsome to fish from bowl.....everything from kingies to barra .

I would definitly have the console at the rear...dont get sucked into having it at the front.

Cheers bm

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:34 pm

If possible Look at getting a boat with high sides

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:57 pm

smile0784 wrote:If possible Look at getting a boat with high sides
agree......another thing to look at bowl....

I allways had extra higj sides on my boats....worth there weight in gold

Bm

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:52 pm

Pod,motor well,splash well, any info ,thoughts

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:58 pm

I have a topender side console, 4.5mt 60hp tin can bowl. Fuel under the floor, 2 front storage hatches. I upgraded the standard sounder, so get the better one to start. Mine came with the sounder. Make sure the wiring is not earthed to the hull! I fish 3 up lure casting easy, 2 up perfect. Do some research on the hulls & the ride they give. The TE has a great dry ride, crap wiring, motor on the pod is good & the same height freeboard all round.
quid est quod eum

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:30 pm

not sure where you are going to fish, but IMO an open boat not much good in PPB no protection, but they are perfect river boats... this is my thoughts, im not wrong or right ...i would not have one again to go open water..
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:35 pm

I would say yes to the high sides and also say if you are considering up to 4.8 then go 4.8 because Then you dont need to wear a life jacket and this frees you up so much plus it still gives plenty of room after the console space is taken up. I personally prefer to buy used condition for the cost savings and then do the work myself but if you are looking new then I'd say get a top shelf hull and motor but with the most basic options and then fit it out over time yourself. Can you get a plate hull in your price range? If so I'd recommend it. The quintrex millennium hull and blade hull are very good rides from my experience in a pressed hull and worth considering if pressed is the direction you're heading. I think I prefer side console for most fishing unless you're planning on offshore work where standing at the controls is the better option but I don't have much experience with either. One thing to consider is wind protection, all open boats have this issue when the gusts get up, I know I love my windscreen and clears when at anchor and the wind picks up in spring. Good times bowl, exciting stuff buying a new boat. My outboard preference doesn't put Mercury high on the list but with all the new motors from reputable brands I think you'll be fine, they are all good now. Go 4 stroke if you can for,the fuel efficiency and longevity. I have a Mercury 4 stroke on my current boat and it has been a very good motor so far, I can't complain even though I'd prefer a Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda. I personally wouldn't let this be a sticking point any more, 4 stroke, low hours, reputable brand, serviced regularly is more important. All the best mate.

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:42 pm

chris srsc wrote:not sure where you are going to fish, but IMO an open boat not much good in PPB no protection, but they are perfect river boats... this is my thoughts, im not wrong or right ...i would not have one again to go open water..
not disagreing with you chris at all

Ive had open boats for a decade....ive fished everywhere in them....gulfs around aus, oceans down the coast, the Kimberly and 100km or more kms offshore...the same boat ive fished eldion and the murray.....

granted you will never get the soft ride off fibreglass and you get wet......but I never chose crap weather to go out in...but when it turns nasty you get wet.

also when I hit rocks and sand bars it survives

Cheers bm

Return to “Boating”