yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Re: My "Go To" Rod and Reel - Advice Please

Post by yepi'mon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:33 pm

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:05 pm

I'm going to buck the trend here a little bit.... Go a 3-5kg rod . I say that because they generally have a higher casting weight and this is going to be your go to outfit for various purposes. Match it with a 3000 (Shimano size, 2500 size body, larger rotor and spool) or 2500 in daiwa size reel. The raider combos aren't to bad really

Also if cbf is your flavour consider upping the budget slightly and using the afterpay system. I've had to use a similar thing on a more urgent item and it came in handy instead of coming up with the cash straight up

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:24 pm

The rod i use for the application you've talked about is a 3-6 impact nano with a sienna 2500 (now a stradic). Probably landed me 1000 fish, mostly squid, flathead, and non surf salmon.

I use 12lb tasline on mine, this might be a bit heavy for your applications.

yepi'mon

Post by yepi'mon » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:31 pm

Hi Guys

Starting to agree that a 2-4kg rod might be a better option.

Wen't down to a tackle store today and explained my needs to one of the guys there and he was more than happy to recommend the storm rods, and more specifically their Gomoku range. Reckon's he uses it to fish for just about everything. I have to say, that rod feels bloody wonderful in the hand!

Any one have experience with them?

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:42 am

Mate get the veritas 1-3kg rod! I have one n have hauled in 7kg carp with it!! It just keeps bending!! I had it with the Abu Garcia orras20 but now it's paired with an aird 1000 honestly u can't miss with a veritas!

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:10 pm

cobby wrote:I'm going to buck the trend here a little bit.... Go a 3-5kg rod . I say that because they generally have a higher casting weight and this is going to be your go to outfit for various purposes. Match it with a 3000 (Shimano size, 2500 size body, larger rotor and spool) or 2500 in daiwa size reel. The raider combos aren't to bad really

Also if cbf is your flavour consider upping the budget slightly and using the afterpay system. I've had to use a similar thing on a more urgent item and it came in handy instead of coming up with the cash straight up
I agree with this, if you are going to use it as a "go too" rod, then I would prefer something with enough guts to throw metals and 3.5 sized squid jigs. I personally would be looking at the cheaper priced "egi" rods, as they are able to cast bigger metals/jigs, and are basically a plastics rod with different guides on them AFAIK. I use a similar set up and its light enough for flatties/whiting fishing, but has the strength to throw metals/jigs or bring in a 4-5kg snapper.

yepi'mon

Post by yepi'mon » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:47 am

Thanks guys - I've ended up spending some cash on a few other bits and pieces but Anaconda have just put out a sale on Catana/Sienna combo for $99. Thinking this might do the trick for now!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 9.47.23 am.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 9.47.23 am.png (98.79 KiB) Viewed 843 times

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”