PPB scallop locations?

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

PPB scallop locations?

Post by skronkman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:55 am

Hi folks, I'm staying down in Sorrento at the moment, have boat, snorkel gear and mates a plenty that are keen to find some scallops. We found a few (2) here and there while just randomly jumping over the side around the sisters but didn't see any discarded shells on the Bottom or much else. Can anyone out there in Internet land help out a fella with a few locations or marks as to where we might have more luck? Have to keep it under about 4 meters as none of us are really that fit!

I would offer back a report on the fishing if I had one but the boats down here are crazy and we haven't even bothered throwing a line in.

Cheers.

Persistence
Has liked: 10 times

Re: PPB scallop locations?

Post by Persistence » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:13 am

We picked up 50 snorkeling in 4 to 7 meters out off Whitecliffs a few years ago. As you come out from Rye boat ramp head left towards Whitecliffs. Start at about 4 meters and you will start to see the tell tale signs of where they bury themselves. If you can get to seven meters there are alot more.
Good luck.

jimmy_jack

Post by jimmy_jack » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:25 am

Gday mate, the boats are crazy this time of year that's for sure. If you are willing to drive down to mornington pier and to the left hand side when looking out at the bay. Well let's just say keep this one under your hat :thumbsup:

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:16 am

Thanks fellas. Will try out front of rye/ white cliffs first as it's closer. Will update on return. Cheers.

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:43 pm

Well not much to show for it but I discovered I can freedive down to 6 meters without much hassle and search around a bit. Had to wait for the tide to slacken though. These ones were off the Rye channel in 5-6 meters near the little house thing on stilts. The bug was a bonus. Thanks for the pointers folks. Will keep searching for them and might invest in a weight belt to help get down a bit easier.
Attachments
IMG_20170106_173614353.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:48 pm

Enjoy the feed mate. Nice bug :thumbsup:

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:46 pm

Nice work! Im determined to get my wettie out this summer for some scallop and cray diving. Are you using freediving fins or the regular snorkelling type?

jimmy_jack

Post by jimmy_jack » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:14 pm

skronkman wrote:Well not much to show for it but I discovered I can freedive down to 6 meters without much hassle and search around a bit. Had to wait for the tide to slacken though. These ones were off the Rye channel in 5-6 meters near the little house thing on stilts. The bug was a bonus. Thanks for the pointers folks. Will keep searching for them and might invest in a weight belt to help get down a bit easier.
Thats bluddy awesome mate :super: don't know how I would go doing the 5-6 meter dive these days , have you been doing any more diving down here?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:40 am

:a_goodjob:

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:22 am

Thats awesome! Dam i need a boat!

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”