poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Re: NSW Mud Crab

Post by poodoo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Looks tasty

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:43 pm

Ahhh some good old names/mates of many fishing conversations there I remember ;) .
We get a lot of muddies up here , I could easily get around a dozen or more a day in 2 traps and just pick 1 or 2 to eat. Late night around the mangroves with a spotlight you can just pick them out too. I almost feel spoilt with the amount of crabs around here !.
That crab in the picture was 'just' under 1kg . The biggest one out here I have caught was 3.6kg ! , a monster; I let it go though as they aren't too tasty when they get that big / wouldn't fit in my big boiling pot anyway. Cheers

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:02 am

How i would love to catch some crabs :P

In all honestly though I wish there was places you could catch them in VIC without having to put out pots.

rixter

Post by rixter » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:23 pm

matt1991 wrote:How i would love to catch some crabs :P

In all honestly though I wish there was places you could catch them in VIC without having to put out pots.
Yeah, not many crabs out in vic these days that walk the mangroves of a night. They were all green crabs and sandcrabs anyway , never got really big. Used to be a lot around flinders point , but mostly all gone now. The once now and again blue spinner crabs which are nice , but not many there .
We used to get huge spider crabs ( not those little bait soldier ones ) off the Rye or Portsea pier each year ( was one or the other , I can't remember ) . They would come in once a year just after winter and there was thousands of them around the pier , all good size too..
Unfortunately no mud crabs down south, reason I feel so spoilt here , huge crabs all the time. :a_goodjob:

Here's another one to the collection I got today dropping a pot while I was working ( 1 pot was out there for 4 hrs ) , got 2 females and this male , let the females go . This one weighed in just under 1kg , 978 grams . Cheers.
WP_20170106_14_35_49_Pro.jpg
muddie

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:14 pm

One trip in the nt a few yrs ago the water temp dropped and I lived on muddies for 3 days.....you never get sick off them

rixter

Post by rixter » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:24 pm

barra mick wrote:One trip in the nt a few yrs ago the water temp dropped and I lived on muddies for 3 days.....you never get sick off them

G'day 'Barra Mick' , long time mate since I been on here until recently , good to see your still on here ;) .

Your spot on about the muddies , never get sick of them . One of the best eatable crabs about I recon' . I been eating them nearly every day for the last 2 years . :super: . cheers

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:56 pm

Welcome back Rixter!

After eating mudcrabs, blue swimmers just don't cut it anymore!

Do you eat it with any sauce or plain? Chilli mudcrab is really popular in Malaysia and Singapore! You should try it for yourself if you haven't already! My other favourites are baked mudcrab with indian curry leaf, butter crab, steamed crab with spring onion and ginger! I love crab so much, that when I travel to Malaysia I make sure I travel to Pulau Ketam(crab island) off the coast of Port Klang to feast on the massive muddies the island is famed for. Well worth a visit!

If you ever have to many muddies, I don't mind taking a few off your hands to help you out!! haha

Return to “New South Wales”