Why is my aluminium boat rusting?

rodderslw

Why is my aluminium boat rusting?

Post by rodderslw » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:54 pm

[img][
20170102_155554.jpg
/img]

My 4 year old quintrex has small spots of rust showing through the paint on the top of the gunnel. Mostly near the edges. Is the top gunnel made of steel in some aluminum boats? I wash my boat after use and keep it covered when not in use. It does not seem to be electrolysis damage. Has anyone had such problems?

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: Why is my aluminium boat rusting?

Post by barra mick » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:18 pm

rodderslw wrote:[img][
20170102_155554.jpg
/img]

My 4 year old quintrex has small spots of rust showing through the paint on the top of the gunnel. Mostly near the edges. Is the top gunnel made of steel in some aluminum boats? I wash my boat after use and keep it covered when not in use. It does not seem to be electrolysis damage. Has anyone had such problems?
quintrex earth there boats to the hull.

are you sure its not electrolysis?

Bm

rodderslw

Post by rodderslw » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:40 pm

barra mick wrote:
rodderslw wrote:[img][
20170102_155554.jpg
/img]

quintrex earth there boats to the hull.

are you sure its not electrolysis?

Bm
Thanks for the reply barra mick. Well it may be electrolysis there is no bubbling in the paintwork....but I'm no expert. So I can/should earth the electrics to the ground when the boat is not in use? How might I do this? I always disconnect my battery when not using the boat and I do not have an on board radio.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:52 pm

It's rust, from metal specs either landing on the paint/boat before or after being painted.
It could be from someone grinding metal close by or a wire brush that was used to clean the hull prior to painting, lots of reasons spring to mind.

rodderslw

Post by rodderslw » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:49 pm

Brett wrote:It's rust, from metal specs either landing on the paint/boat before or after being painted.
It could be from someone grinding metal close by or a wire brush that was used to clean the hull prior to painting, lots of reasons spring to mind.
Thanks, so that sounds like it would not cause too much damage but look a bit crap.

My next boat will be unpainted!

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:09 pm

You may be able to clean most of it off, if it's just contamination on the outside of the paint.
Try washing and scrubbing it with a green kirchen scouring cloth, bare in mind this is like wet sanding the paint, so will most likely dull the finish.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:23 pm

improper/insufficient cleaning after welding caused it. It could be due to wire brush used or there were still some bluing left behind after the welding which contributed to the oxidation/rust.

Agree with Brett. Just strip the paint off, clean it and repaint it.

rodderslw

Post by rodderslw » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:24 am

Thanks all for the feedback

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:09 am

Maybe some spray on rust converter might get rid if it. Then use a spray can paint and touch up the area.

It def look like rust to me.

Return to “Boating”