Shimano Catana 762ML Egi rod - anyfeedback?

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Shimano Catana 762ML Egi rod - anyfeedback?

Post by mazman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:17 pm

4liters wrote:
mazman wrote:
4liters wrote:
Basti wrote:If you're going to buy the solpara, buy the Skyroad instead from Japan. A miles better rod for probably very similar to what you'd pay for the base model in Australia
which site would sell them? Also I had a look through the list on the Major Craft site and there's like a million different Skyroad models, is there one in particular you have in mind?
First narrow it down to the egi models, from there pick how heavy you want it to be (I find e to be a good all rounder) and then the length as said above 8'3" is a nice all rounder good cast off the bank and not to crazy to use on the yak
I almost exclusively use 3.0 jigs, but I wanted something that would be ok with <40g micro jigs as well. I've tried a green Gomoku rod and tried to use it squidding but it doesn't cast far even for a rod to use from the yak. I don't really want anything longer than 7' on the yak if I can get away with it.

Just looking through the Majorcraft list, maybe the SKR-S702E/TR is the one to go for.
The tiprun rods are designed for vertically working heavy jigs in deep water (usually 10-30m), not really what you're looking for. Majorcraft don't have a regular egi rod in a shorter length. Also I doubt an egi rod that works a jig well will be any good at working 40g metal, should go pretty well for 20g though.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:56 pm

I've squidded with the gomoku black mid kingy session and that belts out a cast ian. Suprised the green doesn't

I've used my squid rod for a number of things over the past year or so. Plastics. Hardbodies. Slugs. Perfect for belting out a long cast in the lakes I've fish a lot recently. On lure it's accounted for most of my freshwater entries in the last 2 species comp. Brown trout. Reddies. Yellas.

I find them ok for plastics. Pretty good for hardbodies. Perfect for slugs within their rating. Awesome for dropping down for whiting/yakkas etc.

Where they struggle is throwing top water stickbaits you need to put action into. Aggressive twitching of heavier plastics. Deep diving hardbodies (they load up too much)

Mine is a megabass Caiyen cxx-78l and I've gotten more mileage out of it in terms of species and fun than any other rod I own. If you get something with similar ratings of imagine you'd be the same.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:42 am

ducky wrote:I've squidded with the gomoku black mid kingy session and that belts out a cast ian. Suprised the green doesn't

I've used my squid rod for a number of things over the past year or so. Plastics. Hardbodies. Slugs. Perfect for belting out a long cast in the lakes I've fish a lot recently. On lure it's accounted for most of my freshwater entries in the last 2 species comp. Brown trout. Reddies. Yellas.

I find them ok for plastics. Pretty good for hardbodies. Perfect for slugs within their rating. Awesome for dropping down for whiting/yakkas etc.

Where they struggle is throwing top water stickbaits you need to put action into. Aggressive twitching of heavier plastics. Deep diving hardbodies (they load up too much)

Mine is a megabass Caiyen cxx-78l and I've gotten more mileage out of it in terms of species and fun than any other rod I own. If you get something with similar ratings of imagine you'd be the same.
That sounds like the sort of thing I'm looking for, however a quick look on google suggests that rod costs a lot more than I'm prepared to pay for something I'm going to taking out on the yak.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:45 am

Yeah that's why I said similar ratings.

To be fair though. How many rods have you lost over the side of your yak? Takes a bit of a screw up to actually lose one. Especially if you're not taking out 5 at a time like some yakkers do.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:51 am

ducky wrote:Yeah that's why I said similar ratings.

To be fair though. How many rods have you lost over the side of your yak? Takes a bit of a screw up to actually lose one. Especially if you're not taking out 5 at a time like some yakkers do.
I've broken a few coming in through the surf, and there's been a few near misses where I've nearly lost one over the side while retying leader or whatever. Plus I'm high-sticking pretty much every fish I land because I'm sitting down which is another potential issue.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:15 am

4liters wrote:
ducky wrote:Yeah that's why I said similar ratings.

I've broken a few coming in through the surf, and there's been a few near misses where I've nearly lost one over the side while retying leader or whatever. Plus I'm high-sticking pretty much every fish I land because I'm sitting down which is another potential issue.
So basically, you're a complete flog when it comes to yak fishing.?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:34 am

Pflueger is making a limited run squid stick in conjunction with Egi head.
They should be out soon. Early this year.

Otherwise gladiator make a decent one. Or get the squirt stick. From shimano.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:02 pm

purple5ive wrote:Pflueger is making a limited run squid stick in conjunction with Egi head.

Had one of the gladiators, good squid rod.
The squirt stick isn't an egi rod, great allrounder, good bait collection tool, (got one in the sales), I use mine on the boat, for squid jigs, small metals, and sabiki jigs. Got a 40cm Trevor couple of weeks ago, great fun..

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:37 pm

purple5ive wrote:Pflueger is making a limited run squid stick in conjunction with Egi head.

Squirt stick and catana egi are one and the same with a different name...

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:23 pm

Yeah i know they weren't a proper squid rid bit thought id just mention it.
Thanks cobby didnt know they are the same as i havent seen the catana one yet.

Also another one i forgot is a rovex one. Again not a proper squidding rod but something to consider. Also one from ebay but i cant seem to find the name now. It was reviewwd on this site last year.

Storm gomoku also have a special squid rod imported by ON DUTY tackle in sydney.

Cheers

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”