Shimano Catana 762ML Egi rod - anyfeedback?

Kadmium

Re: Shimano Catana 762ML Egi rod - anyfeedback?

Post by Kadmium » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:49 am

Brett wrote:
Kadmium wrote:
cobby wrote:And of the brand name stuff Majorcraft Solpara
X2 for sure.

Have that exact rod for squidypoo and can'trate it high enough. Used it out on the boat with a mate last week and was perhaps a touch long but great. Out fished him 5 to 2 and he was using a shimano balistix egi.
Did you give him a go of your rod and you use his?
I'd be interested to see the result and I'd almost 100% guarantee you would have still caught more squid than he.

I've proved this to my son many times, he has a cheap shimano squid rod, I have a Daiwa Emeraldas. He kept telling me I caught them all because I had the good gear. So I grabbed his rod and got 3 in 3 cast, right where he had been fishing for the past 10 mins.

The way you work the jig is more a factor than the gear you use.
Yeah probably true. I put it down more to the jigs used and action. Confidence is a big part too. I feel like I will catch more with my rod so I do? Sounds fishy :tongue: but I feel it makes a big difference.

I must admit though that you have to tie a neat FG knot on the Solpara as the guides at the tip are micro sized. I had an albright knot that made a horrible ripping sound as it went through.
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:51 am

Kadmium wrote:
Brett wrote:
Kadmium wrote:
X2 for sure.

Have that exact rod for squidypoo and can'trate it high enough. Used it out on the boat with a mate last week and was perhaps a touch long but great. Out fished him 5 to 2 and he was using a shimano balistix egi.
I'd be interested to see the result and I'd almost 100% guarantee you would have still caught more squid than he.

I've proved this to my son many times, he has a cheap shimano squid rod, I have a Daiwa Emeraldas. He kept telling me I caught them all because I had the good gear. So I grabbed his rod and got 3 in 3 cast, right where he had been fishing for the past 10 mins.

Yeah probably true. I put it down more to the jigs used and action. Confidence is a big part too. I feel like I will catch more with my rod so I do? Sounds fishy :tongue: but I feel it makes a big difference.

I must admit though that you have to tie a neat FG knot on the Solpara as the guides at the tip are micro sized. I had an albright knot that made a horrible ripping sound as it went through.
Would the smaller guides reduce the casting distance?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:56 am

4liters wrote:
Kadmium wrote:
Brett wrote:
Kadmium wrote:
X2 for sure.

Would the smaller guides reduce the casting distance?
I dont believe they do, however knot size is much more critical then anything else. The Albright sits back against itself and definitely impacted casting. The FG is a pain to learn and tie but I feel makes a difference in casting. I am sure there is a good reason the guides are so small on the solpara but I am not 100% certain. My feeling is more control and feed back.
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:58 am

Actually just had a quick google. The small rod guides are designed for braid traveling at high velocities. It reduces knots and "blow past" by containing the braid in a small guide. That's whybthey are so small and low. Larger and further from the rods for mono, closer and smaller for braid.
Species Comp 16/17

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:32 pm

Kadmium wrote: I dont believe they do, however knot size is much more critical then anything else. The Albright sits back against itself and definitely impacted casting. The FG is a pain to learn and tie but I feel makes a difference in casting. I am sure there is a good reason the guides are so small on the solpara but I am not 100% certain. My feeling is more control and feed back.
Don't let your braid to leader knot go through the tip guide. 2 things can happen:

1 - you will lose lures/jigs when the knot breaks when it hits the guide or
2 - your tip guide will lose the ceramic part and you will still lose jigs/lures as the remaining metal will damage the knot.

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:46 pm

So you recommend only a very short leader? My leader is around 2 meters and casts easily through the guides? Same with my sp set up.
Species Comp 16/17

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:10 pm

yes, short leader. Majority of us who spin in gunners use less than 1 meter leader. I use around 600mm for the 9 footer rod and just around 450mm for the 7'6" rod.

UPDATE:

I bought the rods.
2 x $59.95
1 x $8.95 packet of SP
Free shipping!

I hope this will be a good replacement to my tired and weary Wilson Blue Steel rod.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:23 pm

If you're going to buy the solpara, buy the Skyroad instead from Japan. A miles better rod for probably very similar to what you'd pay for the base model in Australia

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:41 pm

Basti wrote:If you're going to buy the solpara, buy the Skyroad instead from Japan. A miles better rod for probably very similar to what you'd pay for the base model in Australia
which site would sell them? Also I had a look through the list on the Major Craft site and there's like a million different Skyroad models, is there one in particular you have in mind?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

mooneyz

Post by mooneyz » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:47 pm

for majorcraft probably platco should have them. for squidding landbased i prefer 8'3 rods or longer and the solpara looks really nice for its price. right now im using a shimano ifish egi with a stradic ci4+ 2500 which does the job

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”