Shimano Catana 762ML Egi rod - anyfeedback?

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Shimano Catana 762ML Egi rod - anyfeedback?

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:28 pm

Anyone out there using this rod? Any feedback?

For $59.95 each, buying 2 plus a few hooks gets free shipping. Can't complain. Not the best rod out there but should be value for money in the long run.

http://www.anglerswarehouse.com.au/prod ... ML&x=0&y=0

Kadmium

Re: Shimano Catana 762ML Egi rod - anyfeedback?

Post by Kadmium » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:47 pm

Not sure but the catana in general I rate as a good rod. I have one for flicking small SPs in fresh water and I rate as a chuck around rod.

I have a majorcraft for Squid and love it.
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:47 pm

Just your average rod with low rider guides. Good enough for the money unless you want a true egi rod

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:25 am

thanks.

I don't need expensive squid stick. I use a 2pc Wilson Blue Steel Egi rod which can cast 40 gram metal. It is already banged up and I cant find another one. I love this Wilson rod as I can switch from HB to SP to squid jig to metals using the same rod when I have to. For those who spin with me in Gunners, it is the small rod that is always sticking out on my backpack acting as lightning rod or antenna. :rofl: I normally use this Wilson rod when prospecting the beaches. I then switch to 9 footer when I find the fish. One rod does it all for me. I am hoping the rod rating of this catana will give me the same flexibility.

I guess there is only one way to find out. Dive head first and see if it will do the job for me like the Wilson.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:36 am

Out of interest what would be the best value for money 'true' egi rod?

I've heard there's a few that are like this Catana in that they just stick egi guides on a standard blank, but I gather this doesn't get the best action on the jig (and possible not cast as far)
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:58 am

4liters wrote:Out of interest what would be the best value for money 'true' egi rod?

I've heard there's a few that are like this Catana in that they just stick egi guides on a standard blank, but I gather this doesn't get the best action on the jig (and possible not cast as far)
I've had a couple, and then bought one of Rui's.
For $200, you'd be very hard pressed to find better. Awesome squidding rod, best suited to bigger jigs though. Hoping He'll get a few 7'-7'6" models made, as the 8'6" is a little long for boat fishing.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:44 am

CarlG wrote:
4liters wrote:Out of interest what would be the best value for money 'true' egi rod?

I've had a couple, and then bought one of Rui's.
For $200, you'd be very hard pressed to find better. Awesome squidding rod, best suited to bigger jigs though. Hoping He'll get a few 7'-7'6" models made, as the 8'6" is a little long for boat fishing.
I didn't know he sold rods, thanks.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:51 am

And of the brand name stuff Majorcraft Solpara

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:39 am

cobby wrote:And of the brand name stuff Majorcraft Solpara
X2 for sure.

Have that exact rod for squidypoo and can'trate it high enough. Used it out on the boat with a mate last week and was perhaps a touch long but great. Out fished him 5 to 2 and he was using a shimano balistix egi.

The only one negative I have about the rod is it has no lure keeper which is annoying.
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:44 am

Kadmium wrote:
cobby wrote:And of the brand name stuff Majorcraft Solpara
X2 for sure.

Have that exact rod for squidypoo and can'trate it high enough. Used it out on the boat with a mate last week and was perhaps a touch long but great. Out fished him 5 to 2 and he was using a shimano balistix egi.
Did you give him a go of your rod and you use his?
I'd be interested to see the result and I'd almost 100% guarantee you would have still caught more squid than he.

I've proved this to my son many times, he has a cheap shimano squid rod, I have a Daiwa Emeraldas. He kept telling me I caught them all because I had the good gear. So I grabbed his rod and got 3 in 3 cast, right where he had been fishing for the past 10 mins.

The way you work the jig is more a factor than the gear you use.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”