christmas day 2016

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

christmas day 2016

Post by Basti » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:15 pm

With the rest of the family busy with lunches I found myself itching for a fish. grabbed the fly rod and headed to sugarloaf to see if i could rustle up a carp or two.

walking the banks i could see schools of bait everywhere and cruising out a little deeper little redfin. The reddies were voracious in the hot conditions and i managed to land something like 20 through out the day, nothing noteworthy in size but a bit of fun pulling multiples out of a school.

walking slowly and trying not to spook shallow feeding carp has its advantages as i was treated to the sight of this little guy while i took a breather. he came out to grab a drink as bold as you please and ended up actually falling asleep in halfway in the water. didn't realise i was there till i walked past him and even i think he was too hot to care

I stayed till dark because the reddies were really going crazy. at one point i was ankle deep in the water and had bait using me for shelter and redfin bumping into me trying to get at them.

Didn't end up seeing any carp except for one jumping way out in the middle. finished off with a great sunset and an argument with a wombat in the dark trek back to the car

thanks for reading
Niroj

ps, does anyone know where the bloody carp in this joint have gone? i've seen maybe two in about 4 visits to the place and i know it's chockers with the things.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: christmas day 2016

Post by Lightningx » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:38 pm

Nice report mate. Great pics :thumbsup:

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:57 pm

Fun day with the redfin in what was very hot conditions.. the little Echidna must have been feeling it too..

Great photos & report Basti, well done..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Part Timer
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Part Timer » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:31 pm

Great report mate, sunset alone would have made the drive out there worthwhile!

Haven't been to Sugarloaf in a couple of years now, may have to do so if I get some spare time in the coming weeks. Where do you usually fish from when you're out there?

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:50 pm

Depending on what I'm after mate. Carp and little reddies I'll fish saddle dam. The water still needs to drop a bit too make casting easier. Bigger reddies at Ridge Park. It's steeper banks and more structure. I haven't figured out the yellowbelly in there but word is to look for rocky banks in the late morning or dusk

Part Timer
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Part Timer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:35 pm

Basti wrote:Depending on what I'm after mate. Carp and little reddies I'll fish saddle dam. The water still needs to drop a bit too make casting easier. Bigger reddies at Ridge Park. It's steeper banks and more structure. I haven't figured out the yellowbelly in there but word is to look for rocky banks in the late morning or dusk
Had a go down at Sugarloaf today. No luck, just a couple of hits/follows from some little reddies. Fished near the Saddle Dam Picnic area.

A number of carp fishos were around as well, none of whom had any luck in the couple of hours I was there. Was the middle of the day which probably wasn't ideal, but the weather was too good to be stuck inside.

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”