Tinny on a budget

efendy

Tinny on a budget

Post by efendy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:27 pm

Hi all, even though I've been a member since 2012 I haven't participated much :oops:

My father will be visiting us from overseas soon and I would like to buy a tinny on a budget as he always wanted to do some boat fishing. I've been postponing it as I wanted to get something in the 5.5m range but I guess it's better to start small as it's gonna be my first boat and my budget won't extend to an expensive boat at the moment. Based on the suggestions on this and other forums on the net, I decided to get an aluminium tinny as apparently they can cope a beating.
I've been eyeing a 3.7 tinny (i think it's a deep V) with 30hp mariner - tiller control. it's got minimums plus some extras to get us on the water.
I believe this size would be suitable for me, dad and my 8 year old on lakes (Eildon, Eppallock) or estuaries - such as Marlo - Lakes Entrance (we frequently go there for holiday - also going to Merimbula this coming January)?
What about PPB - are there any places we can go for whiting, flathead etc? Corio bay?
The thing is I can't commit to a bigger boat that needs work as I don't have much time on my hands for restoration even though I have a pretty capable workshop in my garage and also my fishing buddy is working with aluminium.
So, my plan is to go small to learn and have a bit of fun and probably upgrade in winter when the boat prices are supposed to be cheaper :a_goodjob:
Does to sound like a good plan? I would love to hear gurus' thoughts on this.
Cheers!

Edit: Reading it again, it sounded like I've already made my mind and looking for affirmation :rofl: it's far from it - I am after any suggestions/thoughts on this!
Thank you

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Tinny on a budget

Post by Mattblack » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:57 pm

Sounds like an awesome plan....great way to learn seamanship as well. What sort of budget are you talking about?

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:05 pm

I'd say you would need to pick your days carefully on the bay..... not because your boat is going to capsize but more that it's not going to be comfortable getting flopped around in a small boat. I've seen all kinds of boats out on the bay.... I guess it really comes down to how much chop you can stomach.

In saying that, you don't have to go far to find squid and whiting grounds (not my expertise) from the ramps... so there will be plenty of opportunity for you.

I think the most important thing is getting a boat that you are comfortable fishing in.... and when you are new to it, get something that you won't mind putting a few dings and scratches in. My old man and I are still on our first boat, it's not the prettiest fish in the sea but it's great for us as we are able to learn and make a mess without getting upset that we stained or damaged the boat!

Good luck mate!

efendy

Post by efendy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:12 pm

Mattblack wrote:Sounds like an awesome plan....great way to learn seamanship as well. What sort of budget are you talking about?
Hi Matt,
Thanks for the reply. I think it's good to be cautious when it comes to boating even though in this case it's not completely a choice but something dictated by my budget.
My budget is around $2500.
Cheers!

efendy

Post by efendy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:20 pm

yepi'mon wrote:I'd say you would need to pick your days carefully on the bay..... not because your boat is going to capsize but more that it's not going to be comfortable getting flopped around in a small boat. I've seen all kinds of boats out on the bay.... I guess it really comes down to how much chop you can stomach.

In saying that, you don't have to go far to find squid and whiting grounds (not my expertise) from the ramps... so there will be plenty of opportunity for you.

I think the most important thing is getting a boat that you are comfortable fishing in.... and when you are new to it, get something that you won't mind putting a few dings and scratches in. My old man and I are still on our first boat, it's not the prettiest fish in the sea but it's great for us as we are able to learn and make a mess without getting upset that we stained or damaged the boat!

Good luck mate!
Great points man, thank you.
My father is 80+ and my son is 8. So they won't be able to pull up a big snapper even if they hook one. So I figured it's also good to start with small fish.
I would appreciate if anyone can suggest locations for whiting, flathead, salmon, squid without going too far in the bay.
Also, even though it's a bit far I would like to take the boat (which I haven't purchased yet :) ) to Merimbula this January as there are lots of opportunities there for bread&butter fish. We go there every year. While the landbased options are limitless and very good, sometimes you won't get any fish off the wharves.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:39 pm

I Went down this road about a year and a bit ago.Buy the bigger boat the first time around is what i would say.

i bought a 3.5m and then realised after using it for a while that in order to go out fishing in a lot more weathered conditions, a bigger boat was defenitly a better option.

for 25k mate , theres plenty of boats you can get in the 4.5-5m sizes that are like new condition.
make sure you have the room to store it, and the vehicle capable of towing it.

i would be looking at a minimum 4.5m if fishing 3 people and you want to be comfortable.
thats size will let you fish the bay, estuaries and dams very comfortably.
cheers

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:45 pm

Hey Mate...if your looking at a 3.8mt tinny, I'd get something with a high transom and for the motor you cant go past a pull start, 2 stroke 15hp Yamaha with a tiller steer and long shaft (heaps lighter and the high transom will help stop water coming in over the back). Don't worry about battery and electrics, keep it as simple as possible....and make sure the trailer is in good condition! Be a great little weapon in any estuary, and good for fishing in close on the bays (anchored on weed beds or drifting for flatties)...keep the weight down, don't go out too far and you'll have a ball.

efendy

Post by efendy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:01 pm

purple5ive wrote:I Went down this road about a year and a bit ago.Buy the bigger boat the first time around is what i would say.

i bought a 3.5m and then realised after using it for a while that in order to go out fishing in a lot more weathered conditions, a bigger boat was defenitly a better option.

for 25k mate , theres plenty of boats you can get in the 4.5-5m sizes that are like new condition.
make sure you have the room to store it, and the vehicle capable of towing it.

i would be looking at a minimum 4.5m if fishing 3 people and you want to be comfortable.
thats size will let you fish the bay, estuaries and dams very comfortably.
cheers
Very good points and that's what I want to do in the future but my budget is only 2500 now :) not 25000. I wish!

efendy

Post by efendy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:04 pm

Mattblack wrote:Hey Mate...if your looking at a 3.8mt tinny, I'd get something with a high transom and for the motor you cant go past a pull start, 2 stroke 15hp Yamaha with a tiller steer and long shaft (heaps lighter and the high transom will help stop water coming in over the back). Don't worry about battery and electrics, keep it as simple as possible....and make sure the trailer is in good condition! Be a great little weapon in any estuary, and good for fishing in close on the bays (anchored on weed beds or drifting for flatties)...keep the weight down, don't go out too far and you'll have a ball.
Thanks for the help Matt!
I actually have a 130ah AGM and don't know if it would be suitable for my purposes.
Regarding the boat, I sent you a PM. Cheers

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:27 pm

I don't think the boat you are talking about is suitable for fishing 3 people, especially an 80 year old. I also think you are taking a risk using something that size in the bay's with no experience. The weather can blow up quickly and a Boat that size can become dangerous. I have personally had hair raising experiences in a tinny of similar size in both WP and also shallow inlet, by hair raising I mean stupid and dangerous. I would not want my young son or elderly father in the boat on those occasions.

The smallest boat I would consider would be a 4.2m tinny with high sides and a decent motor of 25hp or greater (this will still be tight for 3 people to fish comfortably) Start off in protected and sheltered waters till you get some experience in different conditions and learn to keep a weather eye.

I'm speaking from experience as I made many poorly informed decisions about boating in my early, inexperienced days that not only scared the hell out of me and my crew but could have easily resulted in a fatal accident.

Once you have some experience in boating and reading the waves and weather then you may be able to use a small tinny at the right times with little risk but the scenario you are talking about is not a safe way to learn in my opinion.

Save up a bit more and get a bigger boat, you'll be glad you did (and so will your your father and son)

All the best mate.

Return to “Boating”