Yarra river Redfin

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Yarra river Redfin

Post by ChrisD » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:35 am

Well with the rain finally slowing and the Yarra's levels coming down a little - I can turn my attention back to fishing it.
This year I am determine to crack the Yarra's Redfin population. Over the last few...many...years my attempts to get on to decent Yarra redfin have been a bust. Mac Perch, eels, carp and even the occasion Cod and one or two Black fish have not been a problem....however Redfin grrrrrrrr.
Trips have either been with bait and zero luck - or with lures that get expensive with many lost to the sangs.
I know the Redfin are there just don't seem to be able to crack their code.

As always not looking for anyone's secret spots - but would appreciate any hints or tips - bait or lures - for finding the buggers in the Yarra

Rup.Quinn123

Re: Yarra river Redfin

Post by Rup.Quinn123 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:47 pm

in the yarra i'd preferably use bait, like worms or crickets, but im just wondering were abouts do you fish in the yarra

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:44 pm

Only managed one, it was a decent size too, in the heidleberg area. Seen someone land a couple at the westerfolds canoe ramp.

Dont know if you can specifically target them, its more of a bycatch that turns up now and then. If you are going to cast lures its normally for cod, which would be on the big size. I've trolled a few cheapies (due to loss risk) behind a kayak for no success. Lure fishing the yarra is not generally that sucessful.

deathray
Has liked: 8 times

Post by deathray » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:35 pm

Chris I don't really think there's any code to crack. Working bladed lures over or along the edges of weed beds will get u one in about 100 casts.
The best ones I got were on scrubbies under a float rather than fixing the bait to the bottom.
I did hear once that 'using gold spoons at Christmas time' was the go for bigguns but never bothered trying.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:34 pm

I imagine finding a Redfin amongst the billions of maccas would be a task.. they always find the worm first or an eel..

Is it a personal challenge to get a Yarra Redfin? Cause it's probably the last place I'd go in search of one
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

charchi89

Post by charchi89 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:23 pm

I have caught a couple of small redfin on the yarra at the mouth of the diamond creek a couple of years ago. You can walk in there through eltham lower park. And also griffth park just upstream from there. One on worms under a float the rest on worms with a small running sinker. You are much better off targeting one of the tributaries of the yarra. Hope this helps mate

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:50 pm

Well after only just asking the other day where the Yarra redfin were hiding, managed three of my own tonight. :banana:
And one would have been my personal best easily pushing 30cm. Unfortunately I didn't take the tape measure with me.....well thought I had but it wasn't in the tackle bag when I reached for it.
Also got on to 4 MONSTER carp - never had a chance of landing them, but they were a tonne of fun until the line broke.
Topped the night off with watching a platypus for a good 10mins.
Attachments
20161203_195530.jpg
20161203_195200.jpg
20161203_202650.jpg

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:26 pm

:a_goodjob:
Attachments
IMG_7536.JPG
IMG_7536.JPG (32.53 KiB) Viewed 2626 times
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:05 am

on worms?

In close succession?

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:23 am

All on scrubbies and within an hour period

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”