Black Rock / Ricketts 17m 27/11/16

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
one2three

Re: Black Rock / Ricketts 17m 27/11/16

Post by one2three » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:05 am

yepi'mon wrote:Fished the 17m line between Black Rock and Ricketts last night with a bit of success.

Sounded up at 5.30pm around a mark we had some success a week and a half ago. Found what we thought looked like a nice tree about 400m of so anchored up around 6.00pm on the spot. Took us a few goes to anchor within 20m but in the end we ended up right on top of the mark which was great.

From about 6.00 till 8.30 we landed 5 snapper, the biggest 65cm, then a 63cm and downwards from there. Not crazy bites but consistent every half hour or so. Kept the burley up every 5-10 minutes (pilchard cubes and pellets) which I believe brought the fish to the area.

Interesting that we hooked a few fish on retrieval... straight after the first wind. It was almost as if they were sitting there watching the bait considering it.... then the slight movement got them to take.

Rigs used were double hooked running rig similar to the image below. Used size 1 and 2 ball sinkers cast straight out the back of the boat, retrieved every 10 minutes or so.

Baits were whole pilchards and silver whiting, both taken by the fish.

We had a snatcher style rig out but not one hit on it all afternoon.

We could have kept fishing but we were happy with what we had and decided to call it early.

Can the rig setup you have shown us be used for rock fishing or will it always get snagged or the running hook and sinker method won't work off the rocks?

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Re: Black Rock / Ricketts 17m 27/11/16

Post by yepi'mon » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:49 am

one2three wrote:
Can the rig setup you have shown us be used for rock fishing or will it always get snagged or the running hook and sinker method won't work off the rocks?
Hi Mate

I don't do any rock fishing so I wouldn't know but the idea behind this rig is that it floats down through the water column just like the burley we throw out. The ball sinker is only there to aid the sinking if their is to much current. Sometimes we just drop the rig in unweighted.

So I would think if you are fishing into water that's got some depth then the rig would work.

We also snell the 2nd hook so it's not running free....

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”