whiting rig for st leonards ???????

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: whiting rig for st leonards ???????

Post by Scraglor » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:07 pm

I fish WPB mainly, but I cant see it being much different. I just use paternoster rigs (A lot of people use a running sinker however) with sz6 long shank hooks, or 1/0 black magic KL circles. Pippies/mussels seem to do more damage than anything else, but a lot of people swear by squid, especially freshly caught, and cut into thin strips and tenderised. I berley fairly regularly. I buy 2x 20kg of chook pellets at a time and put them in a 20ltr drum. I carry approx 5kg on the boat at all times and about 5ltrs of tuna oil. Its a fine line between berleying them up, and ending up with a school of leatherjackets under the boat which ruins ur chances. 2-4kg of pippies in a bag out trip isnt out of the question.

I move every 20 mins or so, until I find a school, once they are on, you can catch a lot quite quickly. I berley to keep them around, but if the leather jackets school up, ur stuffed. It sometimes works casting 10-15mtrs out the back over the LJs, and you can get the whiting that way, otherwise, if the leatheries turn up you have to move. If you drop ur baits down and u get instant tiny nibbles, followed by no bait left, chances are its leather jackets and move on.

I like to try and stick to 4-7mtrs of water, but try out deep in the channels around the turn of the tide, as you can get some horse whiting out there, dont be afraid of using bigger sinkers, if they stay on the bite, I have gone up to 20oz sinkers just to hold bottom, (we got 36x 43-46cm ting a couple of months ago) when you start catching, note what point in the tide it is, as chances the fish are there at the same point in the tide each time (bagged out at the same spot, at the same point in the tide 3 times in a row, went there at a diff tide and caught nothing.) - This mainly applies to WPB.

When you move, you dont need to move far. 50 - 100 mtrs is enough. I try and few different spots, in a few depths at each of the "usual haunts" before trying a different area. eg: 5-6 spots along the spit, 5-6 spots on tyabb bank, 5-6 spots on THB, etc ,etc. If you keep moving, you will eventually find them. Also, try and time your trip to co-incide with the wind running the same direction as the tide or it is really hard.

I only started fishing for ting in WPB about 2 years ago, but have fished 1-3 times a week solid chasing them since then and its taken me this long to nut them out, so if I can help out then great (Y) 12 months ago I was lucky to come home with a fish, nowadays we bag out pretty regularly. (40 fish between 2 of us, plus a haul of flatties, pinkies and gummies, and bait fish) Pay attention to the details, keep a fishing diary, and dont give up. Once you start to work it out it will all be worth while.

JEZALINKOS

Post by JEZALINKOS » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Good tip bowl i was not sure of that

JEZALINKOS

Post by JEZALINKOS » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:32 pm

Really appreciate info Scraglor gives me plenty of info to take in and try

Fish seeker

Post by Fish seeker » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:21 pm

I used a running sinker rig with the sinker on an ezy rig clip then swivel then a leader no shorter than 60cm with a no6 hook. Also what area were they catching the whiting?? I assume Bourke street as that's where majority of the boat have fished and will continue to fish. I find getting away from everyone helps as lots of boats in the area will create lots of noise with motors and anchors going down. Whiting don't like the noise and this can quite often put them of the bite or make them really finicky. Also holding the rod will help as your feel the finicky bites of the whiting. The best bait for me this season by far has been fresh squid followed by Pippis and if u can get a hold of fresh cuttlefish that's even better. And if you are struggling on the whiting the st Leonards area has heaps of Squid at the moment to fall back on. Hope this helps

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:53 pm

Running sinker rig works best for whiting (IMO). Tend to find the bait has more flow than a paternoster rig and have caught more on a running sinker rig than a paternoster rig. BUT try either one to which works best for you and the kids. Mussels and squid strips do alot of damage as Scraglor has mentioned. If you go with mussels go for green lip mussels you mainly get them from Springvale markets at a good price bait that up and put a strip of squid to lock the mussel on the hook. Burley up as well I use Chook pallets fish frames and fish heads from my local fish shop and Tuna oil mince that all up and then freeze in milk bottles

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:40 pm

bowl wrote:Just don't leave rods in rod holder...work one rod by slowly winding it in then pausing n repeat...
Also if you like fishing with plastics..give a turtle back worm a go
imo..one rod is enough
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

JEZALINKOS

Post by JEZALINKOS » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:16 am

What size sinker do you use for running sinker rig skuxliss and fish seeker

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:25 am

I often hold my rod too when whiting fishing. They don't always hook themselves :thumbsup:

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:53 am

barra mick wrote:
bowl wrote:Just don't leave rods in rod holder...work one rod by slowly winding it in then pausing n repeat...
Also if you like fishing with plastics..give a turtle back worm a go
imo..one rod is enough
True when there on.
But when there slow, the sleeper rod will get the odd Ting
.I ussally have a heavy rod out as well ,with a big bait on it ,in case gummy rocks up.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:32 pm

I use a running sinker rig (too many tangles with paternoster rigs), size 6 circle hooks and 10lb leader. I use fresh banana prawn as bait, whiting love prawn but if there's no whiting around pretty much everything else in the bays will have a go at it too.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”