Barometer Query

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Marty.A

Barometer Query

Post by Marty.A » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi Guys
Just need some advice in regards to barometer readings and if any of you plan your fishing around them.
I was at Moorabool yesterday at 7.00am and have had good success in the past there and after 6hrs of fishing picked up one small 26cm reddie and no signs of any trout activity. The reddie was caught on worms but I put in 100's of casts with various lures and not one hit. I met up with a couple of fisho's there who had the same luck and one mentioned it must have been a crap day barometer wise that's why the fish have shutdown??

Could anyone tell me what is the ideal barometer range in regards to fish activity ive provided a summary below but it does not give the barometric numbers,I've never followed the readings before as I fish when ever time is available but it might give a bit more insight into trying to pick good days to fish if possible.

Cheers
Marty..
Attachments
full-42980-40409-barotable1.jpg

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Barometer Query

Post by sloth » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:28 pm

I pay it no heed whatsoever. There is an old saying 1020, Fish a plenty..... But too be honest I think it's more a case of learning to fish the conditions you're faced with....

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:37 pm

sloth wrote:I pay it no heed whatsoever. There is an old saying 1020, Fish a plenty..... But too be honest I think it's more a case of learning to fish the conditions you're faced with....
Thanks for that if I encounter another day like that I might just have to experiment a lot more with my techniques til I hit on the one that works and just take note of it for future trips.Cheers

Mutley and Scruffy

Post by Mutley and Scruffy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:42 pm

Get out whenever you can! Keep records and form your own conclusions!
cheers
Team M & S

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:48 pm

I used to always check the pressure, wind, high tide etc but these days just fish when I can :thumbsup:

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:48 pm

Don't worry about the barometer mate. Just keep the moon behind you and you're set.

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:58 pm

It's a shame you didn't have any mudeyes as I have done very well there on the trout recently, as for barometer I have found that it's best when the barometer is on the move whether it's on the rise or fall but has to be moving

Mutley and Scruffy

Post by Mutley and Scruffy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:59 pm

ducky wrote:Don't worry about the barometer mate. Just keep the moon behind you and you're set.
Our moon????...or Jupiter's moon's? If Jupiter's moons, which one?
cheers
Team Moron

Species comp 16/17
Great White...5.5 metres
Killer whale...8 metres (PB on 4 lb mono)
Giant squid...8 metres
Crocodile...6 metres
Loch Ness monster...33 metres (bait was crocodile)

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:05 pm

Cheers guys I will just keep plugging away at it, least it was a great to be outdoors.
Attachments
IMAG1466.jpg
IMAG1464.jpg

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:12 pm

fishpod wrote:It's a shame you didn't have any mudeyes as I have done very well there on the trout recently, as for barometer I have found that it's best when the barometer is on the move whether it's on the rise or fall but has to be moving
Thanks fishpod I couldn't get my hands on mudeyes but I will try too as I might be heading there again this Saturday. I will try to give the eastern bank a go as due to the low water the western bank was very shallow. Its just a long walk from the main carpark!!! :-D

Return to “General”