St Leonards 12/6

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

St Leonards 12/6

Post by Trumpeter » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:37 pm

Hi All,
Fished another hot bite during the end of the run out tide yesterday and ended up with 11 KGW up to 39cm and 5 Calamari. I released several fish that looked under 35cm as they're really being hammered atm. The whiting were caught in only 3.5m and the best bait was pilchard fillets, only because the pesky swarm of Leatherjackets weren't as fond of it as they were squid, pippies and mussels and it seams to attract the larger ting. The squid all fell for white sephias again, It's the only colour I bother using these days. I also caught a large Draughtboard which actually put up quite a good fight for a change and some weird snake like eels which I've never seen before. Another great day out on the water.
:cheers:

chris srsc

Re: St Leonards 12/6

Post by chris srsc » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:24 am

Nice one man...
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:14 am

Nice catch mate :thumbsup:

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:06 am

KGW and squid that's a great seafood basket, hmmm making me hungry :cheers:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

jedgpz

Post by jedgpz » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:37 am

Nice haul of fish and squid!

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:51 am

Trumpeter wrote:Hi All,
Fished another hot bite during the end of the run out tide yesterday and ended up with 11 KGW up to 39cm and 5 Calamari. I released several fish that looked under 35cm as they're really being hammered atm. The whiting were caught in only 3.5m and the best bait was pilchard fillets, only because the pesky swarm of Leatherjackets weren't as fond of it as they were squid, pippies and mussels and it seams to attract the larger ting. The squid all fell for white sephias again, It's the only colour I bother using these days. I also caught a large Draughtboard which actually put up quite a good fight for a change and some weird snake like eels which I've never seen before. Another great day out on the water.
I've come across those snake like eels there to, some nights are worse than others.
If you get them in quickly and de-hook them you have a chance of saving your rig.
If you stuff around with them and they start their death roll kiss your rig goodbye ..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

snorkly

Post by snorkly » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:12 am

Great report and awesome feed there mate

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:24 am

hornet wrote:
I've come across those snake like eels there to, some nights are worse than others.
If you get them in quickly and de-hook them you have a chance of saving your rig.
If you stuff around with them and they start their death roll kiss your rig goodbye ..
Are the ones you are talking about thin and about 30-40 cm long? Because if they are I have had this happen to me as well before while fishing for whitings.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:32 am

Lightningx wrote:
hornet wrote:
Are the ones you are talking about thin and about 30-40 cm long? Because if they are I have had this happen to me as well before while fishing for whitings.
Yeah lightning the size varies and they love taking whiting baits ! some nights are worse than others at different times of the year, I may just hook a couple or a dozen ! they do look like an eel, I think they bury them selves in the sand with just their head sticking out grabbing anything that drifts past, pain in the ass if you need to re-rig after every one of these things.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:00 pm

hornet wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
hornet wrote:
Yeah lightning the size varies and they love taking whiting baits ! some nights are worse than others at different times of the year, I may just hook a couple or a dozen ! they do look like an eel, I think they bury them selves in the sand with just their head sticking out grabbing anything that drifts past, pain in the ass if you need to re-rig after every one of these things.
Actually I had some pics of them from a trip I did last year. These are the ones yea mate?

image.jpg
image.jpg (36.88 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (38.76 KiB) Viewed 1531 times

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”