land based shark fishing

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: land based shark fishing

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 30, 2016 3:08 pm

fishpod wrote:
Hailttz wrote:Hi I'm Li, this is my first post in this forum. Hopefully I would get some advice and I will report back if I have any luck. :cheers:

I was fishing on Lorne pier a couple weeks ago, managed to land a 30 kg 7-gill and a 13kg gummy on slimy mackerel.
going out for shark fishing this time on the beach, paddling out the bait with kayak just wondering what would be a good setup
I could spool my reel up with 550m of 150lb test so i could up to 100lb of drag, i think that would wear out the shark out faster than 1000m-80lb test(50lb drag), becaude if i think about it... I could run 1000m with a 5 kg bag fine, but only 200m with a 20kg bag and I would be half dead.
Please tell me if it makes sense.
Really hope i will catch a 9ft+
How did you manage to get those big fish onto the pier? It's a long way up there
I was thinking the same thing lol

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon May 30, 2016 3:19 pm

I've hauled up some descent size sting rays with a rope gaff, and yes I do eat them... to me they taste like flake but lets not start up that debate...
A scaled up rope gaff will lift large sharks but the limiting factor is how many dudes you have on the end of the rope lifting !
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 30, 2016 3:22 pm

hornet wrote:I've hauled up some descent size sting rays with a rope gaff, and yes I do eat them... to me they taste like flake but lets not start up that debate...
A scaled up rope gaff will lift large sharks but the limiting factor is how many dudes you have on the end of the rope lifting !
Are you talking about one of those cliff gaffs that you slide down the main line to the fish?

hornet

Post by hornet » Mon May 30, 2016 3:38 pm

Lightningx wrote:
hornet wrote:I've hauled up some descent size sting rays with a rope gaff, and yes I do eat them... to me they taste like flake but lets not start up that debate...
Are you talking about one of those cliff gaffs that you slide down the main line to the fish?
Yep I have one with a double hook and a large ring that slides down the line, but I recon I could make a scaled up version that would handle a lot more weight, it's the man power needed more so than the equipment.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 30, 2016 3:55 pm

hornet wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Yep I have one with a double hook and a large ring that slides down the line, but I recon I could make a scaled up version that would handle a lot more weight, it's the man power needed more so than the equipment.
Yea those things are great! I have one with 3 large hooks and I have helped people out many times with it :thumbsup: the let time was a massive banjo off the end of station pier lol :rofl:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon May 30, 2016 3:56 pm

Do you need to handle them the same as sharks, as in bleed and chill ASAP? Where do you cut one so it bleeds out?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Hailttz

Post by Hailttz » Mon May 30, 2016 4:15 pm

fishpod wrote:
Hailttz wrote:Hi I'm Li, this is my first post in this forum. Hopefully I would get some advice and I will report back if I have any luck. :cheers:

I was fishing on Lorne pier a couple weeks ago, managed to land a 30 kg 7-gill and a 13kg gummy on slimy mackerel.
going out for shark fishing this time on the beach, paddling out the bait with kayak just wondering what would be a good setup
I could spool my reel up with 550m of 150lb test so i could up to 100lb of drag, i think that would wear out the shark out faster than 1000m-80lb test(50lb drag), becaude if i think about it... I could run 1000m with a 5 kg bag fine, but only 200m with a 20kg bag and I would be half dead.
Please tell me if it makes sense.
Really hope i will catch a 9ft+
How did you manage to get those big fish onto the pier? It's a long way up there
Rope and loop

hornet

Post by hornet » Mon May 30, 2016 4:23 pm

4liters wrote:
Do you need to handle them the same as sharks, as in bleed and chill ASAP? Where do you cut one so it bleeds out?
I have a huge knife which I drive through the brain dispatching the beast instantly, I haven't bled one like a gummy but haven't noticed any ammonia smell either ? having said that I take the wings and put them on ice immediately after death, I don't leave it around in the sun for any amount of time.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon May 30, 2016 4:48 pm

hornet wrote:
4liters wrote:
I have a huge knife which I drive through the brain dispatching the beast instantly, I haven't bled one like a gummy but haven't noticed any ammonia smell either ? having said that I take the wings and put them on ice immediately after death, I don't leave it around in the sun for any amount of time.
Thanks. I mean to try one at some stage but lately I've mainly been getting them from the yak and I don't want to deal with one without space to move around.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 30, 2016 6:30 pm

Have you tried an eagle Ray before mate?

Return to “Shark Fishing”