booya's reels journal

Booya

booya's reels journal

Post by Booya » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:28 pm

I've been doing service on reel recently and have got a bit addicted to it, thought of sharing what i discover internal to assist those who want to service it themselves or those who are looking to buy can decide better. comments are based by my opinion, any suggestion or comment are most welcome.

First reel is certate 2506. Since it has magseal, i thought its good to start with.
Attachments
IMG_0221.JPG
it is great enhancement to have floating shaft, but i think that is a little too much gap leaving all the pressure for rotor nut to hold.
IMG_0233.JPG
certate gears before washed down, this reel hasn't been serviced for 3 years but regularly washed down and used roughly once a fortnight on land-based fishing and occasional boat. This is how much a simple maintenance can keep a reel in top shape.
IMG_0231.JPG
unlike the old daiwa, this certate worm drive comes with 2 bearing and a plastic bushing for more rigidity and smoothness.
IMG_0227.JPG
rubber seal for backside of reel.
IMG_0226.JPG
backside of reel
IMG_0225.JPG
close inspect, there aren't any rubber seal on the case. water can still get in when reel is fully submerged.
IMG_0222.JPG
top- magseal reservoir with 2 magnetic disc filled up with magnetic oil attached to a magnetic clutch collar
middle- magseal case
bottom- anti reverse clutch
IMG_0219.JPG
upon disattachment of the reel rotor, here is the first insight of the so called magseal technology.
IMG_0218.JPG
Last edited by Booya on Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: booya's reels journal

Post by DougieK » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:30 pm

Really enjoy watching people pull stuff apart and talk about it. Allan Hawke style. Good job.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Booya

Post by Booya » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:32 pm

sorry the picture is in an opposite order. heres the last close up on the gear after wash down. A bit of wear on main gear coating, otherwise perfect. unfortunately i didnt take anymore picture when i assemble this reel back together.
Attachments
IMG_0234.JPG

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:49 pm

Great post !
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Booya

Post by Booya » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:03 pm

next up is shimano rarenium ci4
Attachments
IMG_0365.JPG
breakdown of rarenium drag system, i personally like to run the drag with very little grease, a touch of grease on thumb and abit of rub on each washer with do the job. FYI shimano permalub is NOT a drag grease. shimano drag grease for shimano spinning reel is DG01.
IMG_0369.JPG
parts of the reel that highly expose to the environment, the handle. to maintain simply flush with water and re-oil.
IMG_0373.JPG
breakdown of a line roller, the part that gets disregard by most people. to keep the bearing running smooth you need to regularly flush it with freshwater and reoil.
u may not notice much when this part is jammed. but if you are fishing with lures, you will see your lure spins after retrieve as line will get twisted.
IMG_0382.JPG
break down of shimano clutch having the metal plate to hold the reel preventing it from getting reverse makes it very strong. note: if you do not have precision tool and stable hand, leave it to the expert.
IMG_0379.JPG
if you do decide to service your reel yourself it is good idea to take a picture of where the writing should be on the clutch as the screw holes can take sometimes to match otherwise.
IMG_0380.JPG
shimano anti reverse clutch, great design and can be easily re build if salt/sand gets into it.
IMG_0385.JPG
main gear and pinion gear of shimano rarenium. Shimano pinion seems to discolor more compare to daiwa, but both are very sturdy function wise.
IMG_0386.JPG
plastic gear is used in this reel to move the worm- a system to move the reel up and down to lay line properly on spool.
IMG_0388.JPG
break down of the baitcast style worm drive. this is one of many parts that separates shimano mid range reel to stella range instead of 2 bushings supporting the worm drive, stella has bearings.
IMG_0390.JPG
bearings getting washed down in acetone.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:31 am

Nice.
this should be made a sticky.
where abouts are you located mate, and how much do you charge to do the service. im sure members here including myself wouldn't mind having a pricing guide.

cheers

Booya

Post by Booya » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:44 am

I charge $30 per spinning reel, i will only do daiwa and shimano for now as i have no resource to obtain parts for other brands if need to be replaced. I refrain to do stella sw saltiga and catalina as they use different grease and im working to source the proper grease for them from japan. This is for service only not include part that need to be replace. All reel will be disassembled including roller and bail arm to be cleaned and regrease/reoil. Of course if you do not mind I'll post a few picture here for members.
For now I want to do 2 reels from 2 sepparate member for free, all I ask for in return is review and if you are happy, it doesnt hurt to put a little donation to the forum. If anyone keen im located in chadstone area.

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:02 pm

Yea mate I would be keen I have a stradic ci4 that would go well with a service
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:38 pm

Was the 'tate magseal oil intact (or is that it spread across the top of the magseal reservoir) ?

Also in your service are you replenishing the magseal at all - and if so are you sourcing the magseal oil from Daiwa?

Booya

Post by Booya » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:00 pm

Magseal oil is filled in the reservoir then attracted to collar when attached creates an a oil pool to prevent water. No i do not refill the magseal, i have search everywhere it isnt possible to source the magseal from daiwa although couple years ago they did sell it for a very short time. However you can replace the oil with ferro fluid but i do not recommend as it can get very messy for a 10% extra water proof affect.
Anyway, raulfc and those who are keen on service please shoot me a message on 0430355225 to arrange drop off, i'll get back to you asap.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”