The 'extremes' of my favourite fishing spot!

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Rod Bender

The 'extremes' of my favourite fishing spot!

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi All,
Just a few old pics to highlight the extreme differences I can be confronted with at different times of the year at my favourite fishing spot.
First pic shows a full water level (with my rod showing a snag who is boss) at the start of the irrigation season. No water was flowing in at this point and I even struggle to get redfin there at this time this year (Octoberish). I have heard people say it is very good water for yellas when it is full but I have never caught any there. Maybe some flow may have helped.
Second pic shows it near the end of an average irrigation season (as opposed to last year when it remained full). A narrow channel which leads out to the main body of water. Fishing normally is poor when it is like this. My mate who took the pic highlighted the location of the redfin in case it was missed. No water was flowing at this time.
Last but not least we have flowing water when the water levels, as in the main body of water where it flows too, is low. Can’t remember when this pic was taken but it would have been around the time they start to fill (if they have the water) (around March on wards) (pls excuse all of these brackets!) or it would have been shortly after a ‘rain event’. I like it like this! Get the odd trout at times. Can't be far off running now and low levels so must go and check it out this week.
thanks
Jim
Attachments
full basin.JPG
full basin.JPG (132.93 KiB) Viewed 801 times
Jims Redfin.JPG
Jims Redfin.JPG (56.84 KiB) Viewed 801 times
basin full flow.JPG
basin full flow.JPG (194.38 KiB) Viewed 801 times
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

troutman

Re: The 'extremes' of my favourite fishing spot!

Post by troutman » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:43 pm

i didnt know you were a "snag tamer"' :bat:

now is this up near your hometown of shep....... dont give it away though !!!!
i wont tell no-one!! :director:

i might be cruising up nagambie way this weekend.

catch ya

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:09 am

Waranga Basin - I'm not too fussed in keeping secrets regarding this place simply because the channel was on last week and I didn't get a fish! I can't see too many fishos rushing there!!!
thanks
Jim

georged2

Post by georged2 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:30 am

Oh my God, Rod Bender has broken a cardinal rule, he's given away his spot... WTF

IT"S ABOUT TIME, secret spots are the most stupid thing in this world, as if fish hang around your secret spot waiting for you for next time you decide to go fishing.
It's as pathetic as boaties turning off their night lights to avoid other people knowing where they are risking everyone’s safety just to protect a spot. Friggen irresponsible pathetic thickheads.

WELL DONE Rod Bender, I'm very proud of you. It's people like you that make our world a better place.
Early to bed, Early to rise, Fish all day, Tell big lies

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:44 am

Thanks for the kind words georged2. Honestly, one thing I have in my favour is being in the country, not that many people will flock to the place. Especially when my last trip there was fishless! When I do actually catch a decent fish, the photos I take will give away the location to people who have been there before. My view is that they know where it is and can go and try it. I do not own it! However, I can understand people keeping quiet when a particular spot in a heavily populated area is fishing well.
thanks
Jim

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”