Lake Eidon fishing september trip

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
mike

Lake Eidon fishing september trip

Post by mike » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi I'm planning on taking my family to eildon caravan park at the end of september and wants to know how is the fishing at the pondage by the caravan park. also what is the best rig setup for trout and what is the best bait is used for trout fishing :r Thanks Mike

borntofish

Re: Lake Eidon fishing september trip

Post by borntofish » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:40 pm

Better to ask locals at the time. but i use scrubworms on a hook, running sinker. and powerbait cut in half with a bit of cheese on it. Have tried floats in the shallows too. Maggots work if you are willing to try them. Terry up at regal marine was a coarse angler, pondage expert for years. hes worth a chat, very helpful at times. Berley is important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! remembering these fish respond well to feed in hatcheries, so same thing in the released dams. I used to cleanup on the lures, late arvo or very early in mornings
You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something.

queen fish

Post by queen fish » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:17 pm

I have poewr bait but what type of cheese!! and I'm not trying to be funny either.

borntofish

Post by borntofish » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:29 pm

ahh that is the question!! i tried tasty cheese, it attracts the shrimp witch then attracts the bigger predators. but there maybe a better cheese, i didnt know what to use, but that works nicely
You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:49 pm

I don't think it would matter what type of cheese you use; just get the cheapest. I have never used it but I know a lot of people successfully use it for Murray cod. I think they may leave the cube of cheese in the sun for a while before using it and this toughens it up for casting.
Good luck!
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

mike

Post by mike » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:42 am

Thanks for all the great advise, we will be there for 3 days, is there any bag limits on trout or size limits thanks Michael :water:

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:18 pm

mike wrote:Thanks for all the great advise, we will be there for 3 days, is there any bag limits on trout or size limits thanks Michael :water:
If you are fishing in Eildon Pondage, five trout per day, of which no more than two can be above 35cm as I it is classified as a 'Family Fishing Lake'.
In the dam itself - five trout per day - no size restrictions.
There is no minimum size in any Victorian waters.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”