eildon reports ??

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
troutman

eildon reports ??

Post by troutman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:24 pm

tripping up to eildon with the tinnie this weekend .

anyone got any advice or reports ??

thks in advance

Screaming_reels

Re: eildon reports ??

Post by Screaming_reels » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:50 pm

Fished it on Saturday launched at Jerusalem creek and trolled around towards the big river arm and a fare way up to where it narrows out had trout rising all morning and had some absolute thumpers rise right near the boat as we trolled past ended up with one for the day don't no why tho with the amount of surface activity we were trolling rapalas vibes jackals tassy devils we tried everything so who nos they might go harder for you on that given day

borntofish

Post by borntofish » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:31 am

would a mudeye under a float work better in those situations?? or a fly imitation, i know with sooo many soldier beetles around at present, an imitation fly could be extremely productive, providing thats what they are feeding on
You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:21 am

Screaming_reels wrote: ....................had trout rising all morning and had some absolute thumpers rise right near the boat as we trolled past ended up with one for the day don't no why tho with the amount of surface activity...................
Hi,
I think borntofish has the right idea. I have found when trout fishing if there is a lot of surface activity they are unlikely to take lures that are well below the surface. Use something on or very near the surface like a floating cricket. Possibly even a small surface popper.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

frosti

Post by frosti » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:07 am

we had the same happen on sat and sunday ,trouble is they aren't trout they are carp . the waters to warm for trout to surface feed they are all down deep now. didn't matter where you look mud suckers are rising and splashing every ware

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:42 pm

These came out of the bonnie doon end (around chinamans hill) this morning on the troll,running 8-10m down in 20-25m of water,basically, trolling the tops of submerged standing timber on the floor,nothing but runt's in the first 5m.
drf.jpg
drf.jpg (154.41 KiB) Viewed 1322 times

troutman

Post by troutman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:01 pm

thks all for your info / reports. :clap:
crazycod and i stayed at howqua and fished around that area.
we also had my two daughters 7 and 10, which restricted our fishing time .

anyway!! winds were high approx 25 knots roughly on sat and sunday., and both days were warm.
we trolled both days at various depths with only one good reddy picked up in 15 - 20 metres., for the whole weekend
we also cast vibes , squidgees around to no luck .
sat evening they were rising but not taking anything.

next time i reckon i will take the fly gear and some bait and see if i get results.
and also i will fill up on car fuel prior to leaving for melbourne.
i reached mansfield at 8.40 and i just made the last petrol station that was open to fill up.
there was nothing else open between there and mount macedon (beware)

catch u later :set1_fishing:

Master Baiter
Has liked: 8 times

Post by Master Baiter » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:35 am

frosti wrote:we had the same happen on sat and sunday ,trouble is they aren't trout they are carp . the waters to warm for trout to surface feed they are all down deep now. didn't matter where you look mud suckers are rising and splashing every ware
You are spot on they are Carp I don't think you will catch them you can see them at times tailing like a trout.
Always take a good look at what you are about to eat. It’s not so important to know what it is .but it’s critical to know what it was.
Wally 20/6/20

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”