Lake Glenmaggie/Lake Eppalock/Lake Nagambie help.

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
DonVito

Re: Lake Glenmaggie/Lake Eppalock/Lake Nagambie help.

Post by DonVito » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Brett wrote:If you have it use it, it's all a learning experience.

My preferred baits are shrimp(if you can get them, use a bait trap with a few chicken bones, unscented soap, or pork fat as bait), yabbies are good, if you can get some around 25 to 300mm in length, then the trusty old garden worms, they can't be beaten as the goto bait.

The power bait does work, though I've found it works better on farmed trout, that get fed pellets of similar size/smell.

Also if chasing trout, a lot of people say you can't go past a mudeye as bait, if you can get them.
Unsure if that was a typo - but 300mm sounds massive. Do you know if there's a general store around Eppalock that would store those baits. Last time I was at Yarrawonga camping, I bought Bardis. EXPENSIVE!!! They worked a treat though, but obviously, if I can get cheaper stuff, I will i.e garden worms. I also heard that carp don't target bardi grubs. I caught numerous carp on them. I LOLed when I walked out the shop with my grubs. Came in a little sandwich bag. I felt like I just bought some weed, for the price and weight of what I got. :lol:

Oh ok, so stocked lakes etc would work better than a lake with residential fish as oppose to stocked.

Mudeyes. No problemo.

With fresh bait, am I better off suspending them from the float, or am I better fishing them on the bottom OR do certain baits work better suspended/along the ground?

SORRY for the noob questions =[

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:14 pm

yeah sorry 30mm lol

There's a place in Bendigo I used to get my yabbies from, I'll have to dig up the name of it though.
There also used to be a house/farm that sold worms on the Bendigo, Eppalock rd. It's been a couple of yrs since I was there last. Now the lake is full, the local shops may well stock bait, or the caravan park even.

I only ever used a paternoster rig in there, got a few nice yella's this way. Maybe someone else has fished it more recently and had success. I think Boonanza was going up there for the weekend recently, maybe he will post next time he logs on.

DonVito

Post by DonVito » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:45 pm

Brett wrote:yeah sorry 30mm lol

There's a place in Bendigo I used to get my yabbies from, I'll have to dig up the name of it though.
There also used to be a house/farm that sold worms on the Bendigo, Eppalock rd. It's been a couple of yrs since I was there last. Now the lake is full, the local shops may well stock bait, or the caravan park even.

I only ever used a paternoster rig in there, got a few nice yella's this way. Maybe someone else has fished it more recently and had success. I think Boonanza was going up there for the weekend recently, maybe he will post next time he logs on.
All good regarding the yabbies, I normally catch them fresh. Keep them overnight and use them in the morning. Silly question, but do keeping the nippers on them matter -- i'd imagine not but yeah, some people have better success on peeled prawns etc, whereas I keep the shell on and still manage to catch.

What are yellas like on the chew? Have never caught one, so yeah.

Are certain baits better fished under a float? I'd imagine a worm or a yabbie would be better fished along the bottom, but I am a noob on this matter so I could be wrong.

DonVito

Post by DonVito » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:59 pm

Oh and does anybody know if you can camp for free around there? I.e two swags! I've looked at google maps and it seems a lot of the roads that lead to the river are actually little dirt roads that lead to peoples houses. Any help would be appreciated!

Otherwise, I have to find a new place =[[[[

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”