Lake Glenmaggie/Lake Eppalock/Lake Nagambie help.

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
DonVito

Lake Glenmaggie/Lake Eppalock/Lake Nagambie help.

Post by DonVito » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:59 pm

HAS anybody fished either lakes/rivers recently?

I am heading away Cup weekend and would like any help regarding reports for the above mentioned.

Any good places to set up a swag either? I've got an idea on a couple of places, but being Cup weekend; I know every man and his dog will be heading away as well.

If anybody can help me with any reports, baits, lures - your help would be greatly appreciated.

James.

borntofish

Re: Lake Glenmaggie/Lake Eppalock/Lake Nagambie help.

Post by borntofish » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:37 pm

Depends where you live. I am going to try Eppalock this saturday if I have no work come in. I love spinnerbait style lures and vibes. Havent tried soft plastics on reddies, but will try this week fingers crossed!! glenmaggie lot of smaller fish, tons of carp!!!!!!!!!!!
You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something.

DonVito

Post by DonVito » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:29 pm

Oh right, so Eppalock is the better one of the two? I am in the South East. Near Chadstone.

I won't be able to come this weekend, but if you are keen to head up one week i'd be interested.

I am a COMPLETE noob at freshwater! Ha ha!

What would one expect nowadays at Eppalock. I've had a look at some sites regarding catches, but a lot of them seem to be old reports. A lot of reports on stocking fish as well, but sites haven't been updated for many many years now.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:14 pm

DonVito wrote:Oh right, so Eppalock is the better one of the two? I am in the South East. Near Chadstone.

I won't be able to come this weekend, but if you are keen to head up one week i'd be interested.

I am a COMPLETE noob at freshwater! Ha ha!

What would one expect nowadays at Eppalock. I've had a look at some sites regarding catches, but a lot of them seem to be old reports. A lot of reports on stocking fish as well, but sites haven't been updated for many many years now.

Eppalock, was at miserable levels for years, only last year, did they receive enough rain to fill the lake, for the first time in 15yrs I think it was.
There will be a lot of fish in there, though they will be hard to pim point I reckon, lots of new ground for them. It is worth a shot though, I've pulled some nice yella's from there a few yrs ago.

DonVito

Post by DonVito » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Well, fishing freshwater will be new for me, so pin pointing, I guess it will be a lucky dip. I want to start getting into more freshwater fishing.

Normally do estuary/salt water fishing.

Any tips for a noobie?

Brett

Post by Brett » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:32 pm

Eppalock, has good numbers of Redfin, Carp and yella's. With the weather warming up you are in with a good chance of getting something.

Tips, number 1 is patience and heaps of it.
2 fresh bait, worms and yabbies or shrimp if you can get them
3 more patience

Try different things, throw a few spinner baits or hard body lures while you're waiting for a bite on the worms etc

DonVito

Post by DonVito » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:01 pm

Brett wrote:Eppalock, has good numbers of Redfin, Carp and yella's. With the weather warming up you are in with a good chance of getting something.

Tips, number 1 is patience and heaps of it.
2 fresh bait, worms and yabbies or shrimp if you can get them
3 more patience

Try different things, throw a few spinner baits or hard body lures while you're waiting for a bite on the worms etc
So, what's the best rig for bait fishing freshwater. I assume it's different with water flows etc.. But I was always under the impression that you fish light in freshwater. I will be land based, so if I was to use a float, it would kinda suck, as I wouldn't be able to get the distance.

I did try Eildon Pondage over Easter (I think it was Easter) and all I was getting was redfin. Across the lake this old bugger was bagging out on rainbows. He was at a distance were I could see the fish but not the lure and the color of it :wall: . I usually buy my lures from Compleat Angler, but that leaves a huge dent in the pocket and I know they're experience anglers, but at the same time.. I can't help but think, they'll sell you any lure to make a quid.

So if you have any ideas on lures as well, that would be greatly appreciated as well..

Do you head out freshwater much; yourself?

Brett

Post by Brett » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:50 am

Try all the usual methods, running sinker, paternoster and even a float. To aid in casting, you can get bubble floats which you half fill with water to add weight to help cast.

I generally use 6lb mono in Eppalock, haven't been there in a while though.

DonVito

Post by DonVito » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:03 pm

Brett wrote:Try all the usual methods, running sinker, paternoster and even a float. To aid in casting, you can get bubble floats which you half fill with water to add weight to help cast.

Will do.

I generally use 6lb mono in Eppalock, haven't been there in a while though.
Perfect, have some Diawa tournament 8lb on my reel and I don't think i'd be too keen unpeeling that off and replacing it.

What do you think of that power bait stuff? Any good? I've heard mixed opinions about it! I have a can/bottle/canister (whatever you want to call it) sitting in my car -- unopened. I also heard 'cheese' is good!

Your thoughts?

Brett

Post by Brett » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:13 pm

If you have it use it, it's all a learning experience.

My preferred baits are shrimp(if you can get them, use a bait trap with a few chicken bones, unscented soap, or pork fat as bait), yabbies are good, if you can get some around 25 to 300mm in length, then the trusty old garden worms, they can't be beaten as the goto bait.

The power bait does work, though I've found it works better on farmed trout, that get fed pellets of similar size/smell.

Also if chasing trout, a lot of people say you can't go past a mudeye as bait, if you can get them.

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”