Lots of trout in the Latrobe river.

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
rixter

Lots of trout in the Latrobe river.

Post by rixter » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:55 pm

A bit of a report on the fishing scene on the Latrobe river, from Noojee to Tooronga.
Hit the river this arvo , headed off around 3.30pm , started raining before i even got there just after 4.30pm !. I Started wading and spinning from Noojee town up to around Tooronga wood mill, tried various lures , spinners etc with no bites at all , had a few followers but that was all.
Got totaly saturated along the journey as it was raining pretty fair while wading upstream, after an hour or so with no luck I worked my way back to Noojee again.
Rain had calmed down again a bit by now/ thunder galore though, I gave up on the lures and spinners and tried drifting some grubworms i bought along just incase of the above happened !.
Straight away the action was hot, got bite after bite, mainly browns / but a few rainbows too. All adveraging around the 30cm mark.
Fished drifting worms for the next half hour before it belted down with rain. Is amazing though how wading the river for over an hour using all kinds of lures and spinners etc/ and no bites / then yet drift some unweighted worms down stream for around half an hour and get around 6 browns and 2 rainbows. Seems the scrubbies are still top bait atm for the trout up around that area.
All fish released , was nice to see the rainbows coming back at last, and both the browns and rainbows looking a good size for this time of a year.

Edit: Oh also note, don't carry a non waterproof camera around with you in waders on a wet/warm day !. Sadly, I think this trip may have cost me my camera. I had it in my front top wader pocket , got a bit of rain down in the pocket and moisture into the camera i think.
I took some pics for the day , but ontop of water being on the lense in the pics , the pics are all foggy too as if warm moisture in the lense.
Ah well , was time for a new one anyway , a WATERPROOF one ! .lol
Cheers , Rick.
Last edited by rixter on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

GummySlayer

Re: Lots of trout in the Latrobe river.

Post by GummySlayer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:59 pm

Good to hear! Nice report mate.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Nice to see you get amongst them! Was the water clear or dirty?
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

rixter

Post by rixter » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:18 pm

Pretty dirty mate, may have been clearer earlier in the day. I got there around 1hr after it had already started raining, and the water was all stired up. Was alot of fish surfacing during the rain, a dry surface fly would of been good too probably, but I didn't take any with me.
Was a nice arvo out though considering it was raining .
Cheers Jim , Rick.
Last edited by rixter on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here Fishy Fishy Image

netmaker

Post by netmaker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:21 pm

Hello rixter,nice report on the Trout,worms seem to go better when it's a bit stirred up,cheer's Murph....
3p's will catch you fish,patients,perserverence,persistance....

rixter

Post by rixter » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:38 pm

netmaker wrote:Hello rixter,nice report on the Trout,worms seem to go better when it's a bit stirred up,cheer's Murph....
G'day mate, thx .They sure did make the difference for the day with the stirred up water as you mentioned. If I didn't bring those worms along , I probably wouldn't of caught anything.
I love lures/spinners etc , anything to make it more challenging. But when it's quiet I like to have some worms/corn or bread as backup just incase. Bait allways does it for me when the lures etc aren't working, good to mix it around a bit.

Cheers Murph , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image

CrazyChenski

Post by CrazyChenski » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:58 am

rixter wrote:Edit: Oh also note, don't carry a non waterproof camera around with you in waders on a wet/warm day !. Sadly, I think this trip may have cost me my camera. I had it in my front top wader pocket , got a bit of rain down in the pocket and moisture into the camera i think.
Get a sealable container and fill it with rice. Remove the batteries and place you camera into the rice and seal it. Leave it for around 48hrs+ and that should normally absorb out most of remaining moisture out.

You're lucky at least it's not salt water, because you virtually have no hope to salvage it, as rust will get into the electronic parts.

rixter

Post by rixter » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:27 pm

Cheers mate , I'll keep that in mind for next time. I just used a pile of dry salt in a container ( in 1 corner , and camera in the other corner away from the salt ) , sealed the container for a few hours and the salt removed the moisture no worries.
Although the rice sounds like a better idea , as I guess it wouldn't be corrosive at all if accidently left too long ( unlike the salt ).
Cheers mate , Rick
Here Fishy Fishy Image

Bob Kerr

Post by Bob Kerr » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:29 pm

Wish I was there with ya Rixter, next time maybe, 30cm is very good for this time of year up there. DAM DAM DAM

rixter

Post by rixter » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:33 pm

Yo bob, was a last minute trip decided late in the arvo just as it was crap weather. Would of called you otherwise.
We'll have to do a trip up there again soon , some nice pan size brown and rainbows around there for this time of the year.
I thought it was dead until i ended up using some worms to finish the arvo off.
Looking foward to catching up again soon , and making a day of it ( and maybe arvo too with some drinks and etc!!! to finish a good day out ).
Cheers mate , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”