Does anyone here eat Carp?

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Nitro

Does anyone here eat Carp?

Post by Nitro » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:31 pm

Iv caught plenty of them but have never tried one. I always thought of them as rubbish fish but have heard that some people like them to eat. Is that true? I went to clean and fillet one once to try it but I only got 1/3 of the way through and couldnt stand the smell so aborted that idea and binned it. If anyone seriously does cook and eat them, then how do you do it please? Ill try anything once. One person told me they heard you soak it in vinegar for half an hour before you cook it, is that right?

GummySlayer

Re: Does anyone here eat Carp?

Post by GummySlayer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:33 pm

The only time they're really viable to eat, is if they've been "filtered"
It effectively means that you put it in a bath tub full of fresh water to get the mud out of it's system. Though you're unable to do that here, because it's illegal to transport live carp

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:37 pm

Hmm, just read the cooking your catch thing on them. Didnt know that was there, newie here.
Think I might give em a miss after reading the comments. I mean, if a dog turns its nose up it cant be good huh!

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:50 pm

I know people who eat them, alot of eastern european people eat them, you know country's like croatia, Hungry etc. but what they do is Pickle them in jars with vinigar and herbs then cook them, I have tried them this way and they are pretty good to eat but I wouldn't go out my way to eat them.

rixter

Post by rixter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:06 pm

:puke: :puke: :puke:
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

fish99

Post by fish99 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:19 pm

what rixter said. :puke:

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:27 pm

no I dont eat carp in fact I dont target them ether but if you wont to give them a try read

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/201 ... 407056.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and no I haven't tried doing this ether
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

fish99

Post by fish99 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:38 pm

seen this article before and tried this.carp still taste like crap.i fish for carp to use in my cray nets and turn this discusting smelly,crap eating fish into delicious crayfish.but one thing i will give them,they are awsome to catch on light gear.

netmaker

Post by netmaker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:40 pm

Not being native & after wittnessing there introduction at a young age and seeing the impact they have had on our waterways over the past 33yrs or so,i must say i love to eradicate them,use them in my garden for fertilizer,in my shrimp nets for bait,along with cray nets.I have tryed them a couple of times & i was not reel impressed,my way of cooking them was pretty basic,there a fishermans nightmare to try & fillet.I know the europeans have a few methods were if prepared properly there ment to come up well,but i'm not one to finness in such extremes.Mudsuckers by name & nature,cheer's Murph.....
3p's will catch you fish,patients,perserverence,persistance....

fishing4fun

Post by fishing4fun » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:56 pm

have tried carp cooked from a person in lake boga a few years ago who prepared them himself in clean water and tasted fine but he did it for a living , also been told if you mince them with spices and make patties they are okay .good luck

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”