Is this illegal to use dip net to catch minnows?

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
zack268

Is this illegal to use dip net to catch minnows?

Post by zack268 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:33 pm

I was looking into a runoff ditch (is that what its called?) in between 2 fields at a dead end with no to little traffic on it and there was a clearing in the heavy reads next to the road and it was filled with minnows (I think).

I was wondering if i could attach a 20 centimeter wide aquarium net to a 6-7 foot stake and scoop up minnows with it?

Im just afraid that if i get caught they will bend the law and say i was "Poaching" or using and illegal contraption to obtain fish.

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Is this illegal?

Post by raco09 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:57 pm

Were you wanting the fish for bait, or to put in a fish tank??
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

zack268

Post by zack268 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:34 pm

raco09 wrote:Were you wanting the fish for bait, or to put in a fish tank??
Outside pond... Im guessing illegal now that i think of it...

Linc

Post by Linc » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:37 pm

If it's not private property (or you have permission) then there is nothing illegal about it

Dip net

A dip net consists of an open-faced net with a width and depth not exceeding 90cm, attached to a handle. A maximum of one dip net may be used to take a variety of fish or invertebrate species, with or without a light.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/rec ... and-waters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zack268

Post by zack268 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:43 pm

Linc wrote:If it's not private property (or you have permission) then there is nothing illegal about it

Dip net

A dip net consists of an open-faced net with a width and depth not exceeding 90cm, attached to a handle. A maximum of one dip net may be used to take a variety of fish or invertebrate species, with or without a light.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/rec ... and-waters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It was literally 3 meters off the side of the road in a runoff ditch that stretches all the way between fields until it hits the next parallel road. it runs between 2 large properties and 1 guy came out and was completely fine with it, he said he might even give it ago.

The side of the road is not private property is it?

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:47 pm

zack268 wrote:
raco09 wrote:Were you wanting the fish for bait, or to put in a fish tank??
Outside pond... Im guessing illegal now that i think of it...
Im guessing illegal too! I don't think you can legally translocate any fish. I could be wrong but. It has happened before (frequently)!!!!!
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:54 pm

Spot on Jim , unfortunately transporting 'ANY' live fish from fresh waterways is illegal. Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Linc

Post by Linc » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:56 pm

rixter wrote:Spot on Jim , unfortunately transporting 'ANY' live fish from fresh waterways is illegal. Cheers , Rick.
Isn't that only if intended as use for bait?

"Please note: It is an offence to release live bait in a water other than where it was initially caught. The use of live bait in waters other than where they were collected can lead to the accidental release of undesirable fish species and/or the spread of disease."

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:37 pm

Linc wrote:
rixter wrote:Spot on Jim , unfortunately transporting 'ANY' live fish from fresh waterways is illegal. Cheers , Rick.
Isn't that only if intended as use for bait?

"Please note: It is an offence to release live bait in a water other than where it was initially caught. The use of live bait in waters other than where they were collected can lead to the accidental release of undesirable fish species and/or the spread of disease."
No - it prevents noxious species from spreading and also prevents people stocking their dams with desirable species such as cod or yellas. You can not do it.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

rixter

Post by rixter » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:44 pm

Your right , these rules came about a while back when the dpi started stocking lakes/rivers with cod/yellas and trout. And yeah, to stop people taking the stocked fish live for their own dams and fishtanks etc. Which in some ways is fair enough too imo.
After stocking of some lakes i can easily catch around 20 trout in an arvo ( i release them all anyway ) , but proves how easy someone could empty out a stocked fishing lake if hitting it each day for a few weeks, and fill their own dam or lake etc.
Obviously the fish are stocked there for everyone to get a fair share of their catch (nice to see the fishing licence fees going to something !).
So to me it makes sence that it is illegal to take them live, there is no need. Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”