rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Where to fish in walhalla

Post by rb85 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:27 pm

Truedogz wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:39 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:33 am
Thompson river? Not the greatest river in the world for fishing imo. I waded around 3km of it from around aberfeldy camp ground without any success. Apparently trout are in there, as you'd expect, but most models are very small. I think the monsters stay in the dam.
Kimtown, the Aberfeldy camp ground is on the Aberfeldy River, not the Thomson. It is a smaller river and in that area quite warm in summer. I'd agree with your observations that in that area it is isn't a great trout fishery. Further upstream where it is cooler it is better.

The Thomson is much bigger, gets releases from the Thomson dam and as a consequence is cooler. Between the Walhalla road bridge and the dam is a good trout fishery and it contains good numbers of blackfish with occasional fish up to 2 kg. It is difficult country to get into and best fished by canoe. Close to the dam the Narrows Road gives access.

The dam is off limits as it is part of the Melbourne water supply. In the past people used to sneek into and fish places like Thomson, Maroondah and Upper Yarra Dams and get a modest fine if caught. Our water supply is now viewed as a potential terrorist target and the offence is now considered more serious. Melbourne Water I believe contracts out patrols of these areas and a lot of surveillance takes place.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Don't forget Tarago mate. Some good trout in the Thomson I have heard.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:23 pm

Truedogz wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
Thompson river? Not the greatest river in the world for fishing imo. I waded around 3km of it from around aberfeldy camp ground without any success. Apparently trout are in there, as you'd expect, but most models are very small. I think the monsters stay in the dam.
Kimtown, the Aberfeldy camp ground is on the Aberfeldy River, not the Thomson. It is a smaller river and in that area quite warm in summer. I'd agree with your observations that in that area it is isn't a great trout fishery. Further upstream where it is cooler it is better.

The Thomson is much bigger, gets releases from the Thomson dam and as a consequence is cooler. Between the Walhalla road bridge and the dam is a good trout fishery and it contains good numbers of blackfish with occasional fish up to 2 kg. It is difficult country to get into and best fished by canoe. Close to the dam the Narrows Road gives access.

The dam is off limits as it is part of the Melbourne water supply. In the past people used to sneek into and fish places like Thomson, Maroondah and Upper Yarra Dams and get a modest fine if caught. Our water supply is now viewed as a potential terrorist target and the offence is now considered more serious. Melbourne Water I believe contracts out patrols of these areas and a lot of surveillance takes place.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Oh ****! Aberfeldy is the one, you're right. I was referring to that not the Thompson.

Apologies to OP. Ive mever fished the Thomspon.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:02 pm

rb85 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:27 pm
Truedogz wrote:
Kimtown wrote:

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Don't forget Tarago mate. Some good trout in the Thomson I have heard.
And Silvan too, there's some big bastards in there lol
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:08 pm

:rofl: :rofl:
Dylan wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:21 am
Hey guys i don't really fresh water fish that much but I'm on holidays atm.

Staying at stringers cottage for a few days and want to know where to start fishing.

I know to follow upstream and be really careful as trout do get easily spooked.

I have live worms for bait and some lures.

Any advice would be much appreciated cheers
Sorry mate read that as Whyalla without my glasses :rofl:

Dylan
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Dylan » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:01 am

I looked on the vfa website and it days you can't take/possess any trout in certain areas.
Which means you can fish but if you catch a trout, you have to put it back?

Can anyone point out coopers creek on here aswell?
Attachments
Screenshot_20190731-085451_Samsung Internet.jpg

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:31 am

Dylan wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:01 am
I looked on the vfa website and it days you can't take/possess any trout in certain areas.

You cannot catch or possess any trout in, on or next to any waterways in Victoria until the 7th of September, with the exception of lakes/impoundments and sea-run trout rivers. You can fish for other species, but if you are caught with trout or trout fishing gear you will be fined. Some rivers are blanketly closed to all hook and line fishing too.
Link - https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fis ... egulations

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:33 am

What a joke. It’s like having a closed season for rabbits
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:26 pm

croe04 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:31 am
Dylan wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:01 am

You cannot catch or possess any trout in, on or next to any waterways in Victoria until the 7th of September, with the exception of lakes/impoundments and sea-run trout rivers. You can fish for other species, but if you are caught with trout or trout fishing gear you will be fined. Some rivers are blanketly closed to all hook and line fishing too.
Link - https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fis ... egulations
trout fishing gear?

This fly rod is for blackfish

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”