Freezing Albert park lake session

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Freezing Albert park lake session

Post by croe04 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi all

Me and the old man decided to have another go at Albert park today, same style as last time, using predominantly hardbodies.
I had picked up a new 7'5" savage purpose predator rod and I was keen to break it in, so we headed down there at 4:30 and fished until 6:45, and surprisingly only we were there despite the fresh stocking of the lake.
Headed to our usual success spot, and about 5 casts in caught a chunky rainbow just next to the waters edge
IMG_8721 copy.jpg
Changed location at around sunset and first cast in the new spot hooked into my first E.P who put up a massive fight for its size, on the same hardbody.
IMG_8732 copy.jpg
IMG_8727 copy.jpg
Continued to fish as it got dark, but we eventually gave up on account of it being too windy and cold and headed home.
Despite it being a slow session still had a good time out there :thumbsup:
Happy to add estuary perch to the list of fish caught from AP, now I'm eager to try for a big yellowbelly next time we head there.

cheers

croe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Freezing Albert park lake session

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:10 pm

Nice report and pics mate.
Spending time with the old man is always special :)
Congrats on your first EP! Looks like a beauty. Nice work.
Cheers :thumbsup:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:24 pm

Hey, well done croe :a_goodjob:

You got one of them and one of those other ones (I'm a Salty and a bait salty at that) but yeeeeeh, one of them/those each.

All things aside, great that you popped your EP Cherry. And with what you've said, and what I've heard, I do understand they are sought after for their fighting ability , , , , maybe not up there with the Reddies but close (hey, not bad for a Salty).

But the best part of your trip , , , , great to do it with your Dad :thumbsup:

Cheers, someone's Ol' man, Bugatti

Expomnowcon
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Expomnowcon » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:40 am

Hows the weed down there now? It was chocka last time I went a couple of months back and it claimed about 7 lures haha

PS love that Purpose Predator rod! I used to have one YEARS ago when they first came out for pike fishing in England, I was so wrapped when I saw BCF sold them and for the price I got it at ($28) haha. I use mine mainly for squid jigging now but a solid lure rod if you wanna change over to a metal slug, can launch anything out miles. Bit too heavy for trout fishing though I'd say, be much better off with a 2-4kg but I see it worked for you! Good work on the EP

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Post by GusG » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:52 am

Great little sesh mate, well done! And an EP, I had no idea they were in there

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:13 pm

Expomnowcon wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:40 am
Hows the weed down there now? It was chocka last time I went a couple of months back and it claimed about 7 lures haha

PS love that Purpose Predator rod! I used to have one YEARS ago when they first came out for pike fishing in England, I was so wrapped when I saw BCF sold them and for the price I got it at ($28) haha. I use mine mainly for squid jigging now but a solid lure rod if you wanna change over to a metal slug, can launch anything out miles. Bit too heavy for trout fishing though I'd say, be much better off with a 2-4kg but I see it worked for you! Good work on the EP
Weeds are still pretty bad, theres no avoiding them really especially since the lake was drained to water the grass for the Grand Prix, I usually just try to cast into the bits between the weed beds. Braid helps a lot because a lot of fish hang out in the beds and discerning a bite from getting hung up is difficult on monofilament. I'm loving the purpose predator so far, I'd agree that its a bit heavy for small fish like this but I wanted to get a more all-rounder rod, and my dad was using my usual 2-4kg trout setup. Cheers

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”