If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Barmah next week

Post by Texas » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:04 pm

Arrived Tuesday afternoon, it was a beautiful 18°
The Murray was running low and hard.
I did not have sinkers, large enough, to keep the bait on the bottom
On Wednesday awoke to rain and 14° max, 4° difference doesn't sound much, but, it felt like 10°. Headed to the Broken River and Barmah Lakes. Both were running the same as the Murray. Could not use bait, so had 1 line with my "floating" secret weapon and the other for lures. Because of the rain, my area of access was dramatically eroded.
Tossed around the "plopper" lure from the codference, wonder wobbler, Adrian type lures & others. Did not even get a snag.
Thursday was dry, but, cold. Decided to go into NSW and try behind the "plantation". 5 or 6km's out of town, in the Moira National park. The roads are mainly sand, so should be ok.
Initially the tracks were fine, but, as I got closer to the river, the muddier it got.
The hilux has the clearance, but, is only 2wd. I found some "hard ground" & did a u turn. I got in this far, I can get out ok. Well it took a while & although I wasn't always heading is the direction I was steering, to the point where the car wanted to take a different, very "soft" track.
Luckily I kept moving forward & once on the sand again, I thought a celebrative beer was called for. It was bloody loverly. Return to Barmah and fished from a pontoon, which was unfortunately on outside of a bend. Again no fish were disturbed by my actions.
Decided to move again, this time to the pub, nothing to report there either.
Cheers Gra

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:16 pm

You’ve got it covered Gra, :victory: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Tex, great report :thumbsup: , , , , it had Beer, a Hilux going sideways (which would have given your Clacker Valve a workout), a Secret Weapon (has that X-Files feel about it), some fishing, with bait too (love bait fishing) and the grand finalè , , , , it finished at a Pub. All the ingredients of a great story and having the reader on the edge of our seats and having some empathy for the loveable Tex character.

Hopefully you have a few more days there and the weather, water and fish improve for you.

Cheers, Bugatti

Carrottt.
Has liked: 8 times

Post by Carrottt. » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:55 pm

Texas wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:06 pm
Truedogz wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:48 pm
Graham, the cod are hard work at the moment. Talking to some locals the crays are running quite well.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Am taking a drop net, bait????
i always use chicken necks, some sort of meat that inexpensive

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”