The Australian fishing manual

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

The Australian fishing manual

Post by Truedogz » Tue May 28, 2019 4:32 pm

Following on from the thread on fishing magazines I have several old books by J. E. Pyke who wrote under the name Taggerty last published I think in the 1940s. While some things have changed it is still a useful read. How many people use shrimp for trout these days? I know my dad used them a lot but these days I think people have forgotten about them. What is sad are the chapters about Macquarie perch and blackies when they were esteemed and common sportfish.

The book can be dowloaded as a pdf at:

http://digital.slv.vic.gov.au/view/acti ... ePid2=true

A companion book The concise handbook of Australian fishing has additional information of the popular species plus some lesser known ones including a section devoted to tupong! Unfortunately there are no online copies.

Have a read and see if you can get something from it.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Bugatti

Re: The Australian fishing manual

Post by Bugatti » Tue May 28, 2019 7:53 pm

Truedogz wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:32 pm

I have several old books by J. E. Pyke who wrote under the name Taggerty last published I think in the 1940s.

While some things have changed it is still a useful read.

How many people use shrimp for trout these days? I know my dad used them a lot but these days I think people have forgotten about them.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
That is so true, Will. (I was going to say "true Truedog" but was concerned if "two trues make a wrong")

There is some old info in those books , , , , yes some have been modernised or updated , , , , but some are either still used (I mean catching a fish is still the same) or still valid but forgotten about.

After reading your post, it occurred to me some of the things I do, are from "Ol' School" ways and still work a treat.

Cheers, Bill

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Tue May 28, 2019 7:58 pm

Thanks for sharing Will :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Post by Tackleberry » Tue May 28, 2019 8:53 pm

You talk about shrimp what about so called jap clams they used to come in a red waxed box , they were pippys and trout love them we used to use them 40 odd years ago ......
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Tue May 28, 2019 9:17 pm

Never heard trout on shrimp, that's new to me. I started fishing probably 10-12 years ago, trout on shrimp probably beyond that :-D
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Wed May 29, 2019 8:02 pm

Tackleberry wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:53 pm
You talk about shrimp what about so called jap clams they used to come in a red waxed box , they were pippys and trout love them we used to use them 40 odd years ago
You old enough to remember jap clams too! Funnily enough I was talking to someone last week about them.

They were a great bait for trout, particularly early in the season. I can remember fishing with a school mate and him catching a nice brown on jap clams off the big sandbank just below the railway bridge at Yarra Glen. On another occasion I caught a nice brown and 5 minutes later a nice rainbow on jap clams the first week of the trout season in 1974 in the Goulburn at Thornton. I reckon they worked well in fast flowing water as the fish could smell them some distance downstream.

There is no reason why pippies wouldn't be a good bait for trout these days. I might try them out when the trout season reopens. :thumbsup:
Seb85 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:17 pm
Never heard trout on shrimp, that's new to me.
Seb, in years gone by shrimp were widely used for trout. They were regarded as a top bait in the Deep Creek out Romsey way, in the Plenty River and other streams particularly those with ribbon weed. My uncle told me stories of watching trout in the old Eildon Weir bumping drowned trees to startle the shrimp and pick them off. Small shrimp are important items in the diet of trout, redfin, blackfish and Macquarie perch. A lot of people use the large Murray shtimp as bait for yellas and cod but you don't hear much these days about the smaller species being used for trout.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed May 29, 2019 8:13 pm

Truedogz wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:02 pm
Tackleberry wrote:
You talk about shrimp what about so called jap clams they used to come in a red waxed box , they were pippys and trout love them we used to use them 40 odd years ago
You old enough to remember jap clams too! Funnily enough I was talking to someone last week about them.

They were a great bait for trout, particularly early in the season. I can remember fishing with a school mate and him catching a nice brown on jap clams off the big sandbank just below the railway bridge at Yarra Glen. On another occasion I caught a nice brown and 5 minutes later a nice rainbow on jap clams the first week of the trout season in 1974 in the Goulburn at Thornton. I reckon they worked well in fast flowing water as the fish could smell them some distance downstream.

There is no reason why pippies wouldn't be a good bait for trout these days. I might try them out when the trout season reopens. :thumbsup:
Seb85 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:17 pm
Never heard trout on shrimp, that's new to me.
Seb, in years gone by shrimp were widely used for trout. They were regarded as a top bait in the Deep Creek out Romsey way, in the Plenty River and other streams particularly those with ribbon weed. My uncle told me stories of watching trout in the old Eildon Weir bumping drowned trees to startle the shrimp and pick them off. Small shrimp are important items in the diet of trout, redfin, blackfish and Macquarie perch. A lot of people use the large Murray shtimp as bait for yellas and cod but you don't hear much these days about the smaller species being used for trout.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
I'll have to give it a go, the local is full of bullhead and shrimp at the moment
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed May 29, 2019 9:10 pm

Truedogz wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:02 pm
Tackleberry wrote:

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Some years back here in SA, probably 6-8 years, there was a Goolwa Cockle (Pipi) shortage, due to ecolli or some bug (not me though , , , , I'm a good Bug) , , , , and they shipped in the Japanese Clams and some others from China (the China ones might have been sourced/packed by China from somewhere in the world, but we called them China Cockles). The Japanese ones did well BUT those China ones struggled.

Cheers, The Good Bug ;-)

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”