Gaffs in fresh water Pffft

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
feralhunter

Gaffs in fresh water Pffft

Post by feralhunter » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:29 pm

Spent a few days on the Gunbower Creek at Cohuna with friends.Lovely spot and the place screams Cod territory however didnt fish just mucked about on biscuit,kayaked and done Sfa which was brilliant.Wiilbget up again when less busy for a good go at fishing.One thing I noticed and personally I found pathetic was seeing a gaff in 3 different boats.To me gaffs have no place in fresh water fishing and those that carry them are W ankers just my opinion.Whats the thoughts of others?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Gaffs in fresh water Pffft

Post by 4liters » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Nothing wrong with gaffing carp (regular and spotted varieties) I guess. If they were using them on natives that’s another story.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:17 pm

Yeah, caught some horrible big carp before. Think I'd prefer to gaff the stinking things and give em the ko death knock than get them in my net and have that vile carp smell in my net that takes ages to fade away. Damn they have a crap smell. Gaff em, kill em.

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:20 pm

I have a gaff in the boat and generally only fish fresh... you wouldn't see it tho, it resides hidden away and ive never used it. it was in the boat when I bought it and i've left it there, maybe it will come in handy for something oneday.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:25 pm

I don't see a problems if your going to keep the fish. But if releasing should be done buy hand with wet towel etc

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:26 pm

ben475 wrote:I have a gaff in the boat and generally only fish fresh... you wouldn't see it tho, it resides hidden away and ive never used it. it was in the boat when I bought it and i've left it there, maybe it will come in handy for something oneday.
A Bull Shark that's cruised inland and taken up residence in Cairn Curran attacking the yacht'ees there. Or, a giant rogue Carp sucking the skin of bathers legs perhaps!?
:victory:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:29 pm

Each to their own...i too could see it coming in handy with a big stinky carp.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:49 pm

Who said the people you spotted with a gaff don’t fish in salt water also???? I don’t put my boat in the fresh but if you spotted it in there I can assure you the gaff would be there. All my gear stays in the boat and never leaves that way I’m not looking for something I should have

feralhunter

Post by feralhunter » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:24 pm

Oh my bad.They may fish in salt water im so sorry.Pffft.Clown .If they stupid enough to carry gaffs in fresh they be stupid enough to fish the bay in 10-12 foot punts.
Some of you fellas must catch monstrous carp Pffft

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:00 pm

Or it's a case of who gives a flying **** what's in their boat? What's the point of whinging other than to look like a complete ********?

I'd be gaffing every carp I caught if I fished carp infested waters because they're stinking rotting things I wouldn't waste a net on

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”