Gaffs in fresh water Pffft

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
feralhunter

Re: Gaffs in fresh water Pffft

Post by feralhunter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:32 pm

cobby wrote:
feralhunter wrote:
cobby wrote:Where's your favorite boat ramp? I'll deliberately rock up with the 3 flying gaffs, stainless tail rope and the larger of the 2 standard gaffs in prominent view just for you...
Onya GOBBY must make you feel tough with all that gear.Just a question how would you retrieve a man overboard with a gaff.Hook em through the guts,calf,thigh or elsewhere.
They've all got covers over the tips. You slide the gaff between the life jacket and the life jackets strap, then use the gaffs gape as a hand hold for the person to climb on board.

Or is that so hard to grasp for closed minds?
The only thing too hard to grasp is the machoism and stupidity of some on this forum.Pffft

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:36 pm

You are allowed 1 in possession in Victorian waterways. Personally I don't see the need for a gaff especially down here but if it is Legal to have one then If this was such a problem why didn't you say something to your mates feralhunter?
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:11 pm

cobby wrote:
feralhunter wrote:
cobby wrote:Where's your favorite boat ramp? I'll deliberately rock up with the 3 flying gaffs, stainless tail rope and the larger of the 2 standard gaffs in prominent view just for you...
Onya GOBBY must make you feel tough with all that gear.Just a question how would you retrieve a man overboard with a gaff.Hook em through the guts,calf,thigh or elsewhere.
They've all got covers over the tips. You slide the gaff between the life jacket and the life jackets strap, then use the gaffs gape as a hand hold for the person to climb on board.

Or is that so hard to grasp for closed minds?
Or.juat get them to grab it with there hand lol

feralhunter

Post by feralhunter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:24 pm

Boonanza wrote:You are allowed 1 in possession in Victorian waterways. Personally I don't see the need for a gaff especially down here but if it is Legal to have one then If this was such a problem why didn't you say something to your mates feralhunter?
Yes I know they are legal.
You think its a good look on boat parked up at playground shore?
Why would I care to ask them?Its obvious why they have them so what should I of asked?
I asked a simple question on this forum is that a problem?
Gotta love how the big men who are up each others own A r $ e jump to defend each other on this forum.Humourous That.Anyways keep firing away Play on

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:39 pm

feralhunter wrote:
Boonanza wrote:You are allowed 1 in possession in Victorian waterways. Personally I don't see the need for a gaff especially down here but if it is Legal to have one then If this was such a problem why didn't you say something to your mates feralhunter?
Why would I care to ask them?Its obvious why they have them so what should I of asked?
Gotta love how the big men who are up each others own A r $ e jump to defend each other on this forum.Humourous That.Anyways keep firing away Play on
Relax Snowflake I wasn't taking sides at all. I was just asking why not actually ask the people on the boats what they were used for but obviously you left your balls in your wife's purse and thought it best do start sh!t with anyone that commented hey big boy. :down:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

feralhunter

Post by feralhunter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:48 pm

Boonanza wrote:
feralhunter wrote:
Relax Snowflake I wasn't taking sides at all. I was just asking why not actually ask the people on the boats what they were used for but obviously you left your balls in your wife's purse and thought it best do start sh!t with anyone that commented hey big boy. :down:

You relax Clown.
Its obvious why they had the gaffs to hook the huge monstrous fish they weren’t catching.
Should I of also asked what the nose on there face was for?
Now get back to tongue punching the rest of your tough mates .Haha

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:31 pm

feralhunter wrote:
Do you even read posts feralhunter ? where did I mention gaffing a person through the body ? ... I wrote "Extension for man overboard to grab onto"
read a post thoroughly and understand it before shooting off your reply post.
Last edited by hornet on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Post by Millzee » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:59 pm

I was under the belief that it's illegal to be in possession of a gaff in Victorian fresh waters, I remember reading something about it when I was getting my boat a couple years ago. I tend to have a salt water fishing kit and fresh, that way I won't get caught out in the wrong if I ever get searched by authorities.

feralhunter

Post by feralhunter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:21 pm

hornet wrote:Gaff uses...

Snag fish
Extension for man overboard to grab onto
Hook onto jetty to pull boat in strong current
Tie towel to and wave for signalling
Retrieve crab pot buoys
Pushing away from jetty or another boat at the ramp

There's probably more uses but just off the top of my head I've used a gaff for the above purposes over the years.
Oh yes I read this pathetic post Hornet.
Snag fish.Pffft.Maybe you and others on here need a harpoon and winch for the monsters you catch.
Extension of man overboard.Yeah right.Be safer to use oar or fishing rod surely?
Tie towel for signalling.Couldnt use oar or fishing rod?
Hook onto jetty.Not many jetties in fresh but sure a hand works?
Retrieve crab pot or buoy.No crabs in fresh and definitely not crayvseason atm.
Pushing away from jetty or other boat.Again surely oar or bare hand safer?

I make that 6 love.New balls please and your serve Hornet

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:31 pm

Millzee wrote:I was under the belief that it's illegal to be in possession of a gaff in Victorian fresh waters, I remember reading something about it when I was getting my boat a couple years ago. I tend to have a salt water fishing kit and fresh, that way I won't get caught out in the wrong if I ever get searched by authorities.
Your right fishalot.

In NSWGear and methods

You are not permitted to:

Use gaffs in inland waters.
Use spears, spear guns in inland waters.
Use explosives, firearms or electrical devices.
Use fish traps, cast nets, bait nets, yabby rakes or any other equipment to take fish or invertebrates other than gear specified within the waters

In Victoria... Gaff

A gaff can only be used to assist anglers to take or land fish (other than invertebrates). A gaff can only be used with a rod and line or handline.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”