River Murray

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Re: River Murray

Post by Broomstick » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:01 pm

I'm with you Truedogz - I feel if they release the virus now, it will be a missed opportunity. It won't eradicate carp by itself, but it could be very successful if introduced as part of a multi-pronged attack. I don't know the inner workings of the freshwater management world like you do, but there must be some hidden agendas pushing for the early release of the virus. It just seems common sense to wait until we have a more comprehensive control plan.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:18 pm

Damn it's great having (at least 2) scientists on this forum
Even if 1 is honoury (if truedogz hasn't got "the piece of paper", he should have)
Cheers Gra

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:15 pm

Texas wrote:Damn it's great having (at least 2) scientists on this forum
Even if 1 is honoury (if truedogz hasn't got "the piece of paper", he should have)
Cheers Gra
Haha Truedogz is more qualified than me Gra...I have a piece of paper but am still very much a greenhorn.

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:41 pm

I've got multiple 'pieces of paper' in several fields. Originally in biochemistry (with my focus in animal reproduction), later in education. I've also got arthritis in my hands from getting my education by working in the construction industry.

If people think I am harsh calling out the cowards in DELWP and other agencies that have turned a blind eye to the behaviour of their colleagues consider this. The last area I worked in was education. My former boss blackmailed his employer in getting a pedophile teacher put away for child abuse. He had to leave Australia for a while - it was because of the efforts of people like him that eventually many wrongs have been corrected, like the recent Royal Commission. Years later my career came to an end after my last boss covered up issues, a kid tried to hang themselves, I drank a bottle of red wine and so I reported the boss to help the kids that weren't being protected. I did the honourable thing and resigned but of course that has affected my employment since. I have fronted one government enquiry in education 'in camera' as an expert witness which has resulted in reform. Financially it makes things a bit tough for me but I get by; knowing how wrottens things are in some areas I have retreated to just enjoying life and fishing - but I still get upset over things, like what is going on with trout cod and maccas.

I have an excellent understanding of how powerful networks operate. I had a close fried who had a legal battle with the oil industry many years ago and learnt a lot from him. As to what goes on in the fish area read Frank Prokop's recent article in Freshwater Fishing on Murray cod heroes and he gives a number of examples. Read between the lines and you will infer more. It's even worse now; ministers really aren't across their portfolios any more and the power of these people is more or less untramelled, they are openly political and have a massive pr network supporting them. I chatted recently with Rod Harrison about this and believe our very democracy is under threat.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Texas

Post by Texas » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:04 pm

The number one priority for a politician is to be re-elected
End of story.

Texas

Post by Texas » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:06 pm